Software Development Engineer in Test - Linux Sensor
At CrowdStrike we’re on a mission - to stop breaches. Our groundbreaking technology, services delivery, and intelligence gathering together with our innovations in machine learning and behavioral-based detection, allow our customers to not only defend themselves, but do so in a future-proof manner. We’ve earned numerous honors and top rankings for our technology, organization and people – clearly confirming our industry leadership and our special culture driving it. We also offer flexible work arrangements to help our people manage their personal and professional lives in a way that works for them. So if you’re ready to work on unrivaled technology where your desire to be part of a collaborative team is met with a laser-focused mission to stop breaches and protect people globally, let’s talk.
About the Role
CrowdStrike Falcon Host is a two-component security product. One component is a “sensor”: a driver installed on client machines that observes system activity and recognizes malicious behavior, then provides on-box prevention capability and remote telemetry to the Falcon Host cloud. The sensor processes thousands of events per second to provide deep visibility into operations on the endpoint, and performs rich correlation and computation to identify malicious events and blocks malicious activity.
The cloud component aggregates sensor telemetry for each customer’s network, correlates malicious behavior across multiple machines, and presents our customers’ operations teams with a prioritized summary of the threats detected in their environments.
This is a Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) position in the Linux sensor engineering team. At CrowdStrike, SDETs and SDEs work together in combined engineering teams. SDETs are key contributors in the team’s focus on quality of the sensor.
SDETs use their strong software development skills to build effective tools, harnesses, and specialized tests to assure that quality. SDETs also participate actively in design and code reviews, and collaborate with the cloud team to assure end-to-end system functionality.
- Analyze complex software features, and build effective test strategies and test design
- Build useful tools, frameworks, and test setup to use for developing tests effectively; the goal is to minimize manual testing and for the team to write automated tests for the product
- Identify and write specialized tests necessary that are not feature-specific but are still important to ensure the quality of the system as a whole – performance, scalability, limits etc.
- Debug bugs found through test or customer cases to identify root cause and use the input to improve tests
- Work collaboratively with product and release management to control risk, improve quality, and streamline our release cycles
- Rigorous product and test code reviews with an eye towards improving the security and robustness of the system as a whole
What You’ll Need
- Must have demonstrated passion to find bugs -- i.e. they must like breaking software as much as writing code!
- Can develop high-quality code in C or C++and scripting languages like Python
- Experience doing test development work on Linux or Unix for code that has high reliability requirements and code that needs to pay attention to low-level operating characteristics (memory usage, efficient performance, correct conformance to external standards) is also highly desired
- Deeper understanding of fundamental computer science concepts; experience in analysis and implementation of data structures, algorithms, and software design
- Ability to write and automate test cases, triage bugs, and write actionable bug reports
- Ability to read code with a focus on its robustness and security (or lack thereof)
- Ability to clearly define test strategies for features, and implement those strategies
- A track record of shipping quality software
- Experience working on a team to ship major features and releases
- Able to communicate, collaborate, and work effectively in a distributed team
Benefits of Working at CrowdStrike:
- Market leader in compensation and equity awards
- Competitive vacation policy
- Comprehensive health benefits + 401K plan
- Paid paternity and maternity leave, including adoption
- Wellness programs
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats
We are committed to building an inclusive culture of belonging that not only embraces the diversity of our people but also reflects the diversity of the communities in which we work and the customers we serve. We know that the happiest and highest performing teams include people with diverse perspectives and ways of solving problems so we strive to attract and retain talent from all backgrounds and create workplaces where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
CrowdStrike is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.