Software Engineer - Cloudflare Pages at Cloudflare
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the team
Cloudflare Pages is a collaborative web development platform that provides users with a fast and secure way to build and host static sites. We work hard to remove barriers between vision and execution for content creators, large and small.
Pages is part of Cloudflare's Emerging Technology and Incubation team where new, bold products are built and released within Cloudflare. Rather than being constrained by the structures which make Cloudflare a successful business, we leverage our network to deliver entirely new tools and products to our customers.
What you'll do
- Help manage and mature a complex software system that builds and deploys our customers' sites
- Maintain a focus on developer experience and product quality while scaling a young product
- Collaborate with engineers across the whole stack and teams across Cloudflare, and contribute at many layers of the architecture
- Own your work from early discussions to the day it ships
- Work closely with product leaders and get to know customers big and small
- Leverage your creativity and developer prowess to seek out new ways to improve the platform
- You are empathic to the developer experience and knowledgeable of best practices, trends, and pain points
- We primarily work in Golang and TypeScript. We recommend you have worked in one of these languages before, preferably professionally
- You are naturally curious and willing to take a step to learn something you don’t have experience in
- You enjoy getting things done and have a bias for action: you're a builder and a creator
- You like to deep dive in certain areas, but you can contribute across the stack
- You lead. We are a growing team and you will have a huge role shaping the product from the ground up
- You have solid engineering fundamentals (formal computer science education a plus)
- You have experience with automated deployments, maybe even on a large scale
- You would like to join a team that is honest and open with each other and holds each other to the highest standard. We celebrate each others' achievements and support each other when we make mistakes
More about Pages and the team
- What is Pages?
- Pages is a web development platform built on top of Cloudflare Workers. We leverage the existing git workflow that most developers use to collaborate, and integrate directly with our highly performant edge network, so our users can leave infrastructure management to us and focus on creating content.
- We have a generous free tier! The best way to learn more is to try it out. Don't forget to check out our docs.
- How does it work?
- Pages allows a user to configure a new project using an existing repo. Each time a user pushes a commit to their repo, we build and deploy their site automatically. A lot goes into making this happen! We coordinate across multiple services, performing actions such as: creating a new pages.dev site, managing DNS and SSL for custom domains, listening for repo events, coordinating builds, and providing our users meaningful feedback about build progress and deployment status on our edge network.
- What technologies do you use?
- Configuration of projects is done from a React frontend, with a Go backend serving API requests. Our builder code is written in Python and Rust. We use Cloudflare Workers and Workers KV to serve users' content.
- What stage is the product?
- The success of our beta was overwhelmingly positive, and we announced its transition to General Availability (GA) in April 2021. We already have a strong user base with customers of all sizes and serve thousands of requests per second from Pages projects. Pages is still a very new product. If you join us, you’ll be an early team member in helping shape our architecture and the future of Pages, making a big impact on the creators we work with.
- Our roadmap includes deeper integration with Workers, facilitating more complex development workflows, and operational work to ensure that Pages can scale with our growing number of users.
- What’s the interview process like?
- 30 minute phone call with the hiring manager followed by short technical challenge
- Virtual onsite round; Practical technical interview with pair programming and an opportunity to meet all the members of the team including executives
- Final call with one of Cloudflare’s co-founders
- Where is the team located?
- Most of us are in Austin while others are in London. Since the start of the pandemic we’ve been working 100% remotely from home. We like working from the office so when the pandemic ends we’ll go back to a mix of home and office that meets our personal work style.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
22.214.171.124: We released 126.96.36.199 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.