Software Engineer - Data Platform
In engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas. Technologies we work with include Kafka, KStream,Spark, Samza, Core Java, Flink, Hadoop, Docker, AWS (EC2, S3, Lambda, multi data center architecture).
What you’ll do:
If you’re the right person for the job you will be joining the growing Cloud Engineering team focusing on our Data Platform. As a Sr Big Data Platform Engineer you will continue to drive HomeAway's culture of engineering excellence. The Cloud Engineering – Digital Platform team manages the infrastructure, services, and data pipelines that empower the organization to have the right information at the right time. The team consistently delivers, and has continually enjoyed a high customer satisfaction score as measured by HomeAway's engineers.
What You’ll Get:
As a member of the Digital Platform Engineering team you will be driving HomeAway's engineering culture, by building, evangelizing and supporting our multi-petabyte Data Platform. You’ll have the chance to work with highly powered distributed systems and the latest industry tools ensuring no chance of boredom. Our ever-growing footprint will give you the opportunity to work at scale while being creative in an agile team. You’ll be joining a team that grows together, and people go out of their way to help each other succeed. You’ll also get to work with stakeholders across the globe gaining international experience in a fast-paced C2C Travel industry while working in an incredible office space!
Day-to-Day responsibilities include:
- Design, develop, and maintain the software and systems that drive the Stream Processing, Big Data Platform
- Develop governance model and best practicesfor the Stream Processing, Big Data Platform
- Interface with application teams and drivebest practices among Homeaway developer community in using the StreamProcessing, Big Data Platform
- Ensure the platform goes through ContinuousIntegration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD) with DevOps automation
- Deliver the codes with high quality, including proper design review, unit testing, integration testing.
- Maintain the big data platform by diagnosing, predicting and correcting scaling problems
Who you are:
- Must have hands on experience in architecture,design, implementation, and build of applications or micro services using Core Java
- Experience in developing java libraries
- Hands on experience with Kafka, KStream or other related stream processing frameworks such as Samza, Flink.
- Strong understanding of Distributed Computing and experience working on Big Data Processing Frameworks and Tools– Spark, YARN MapReduce is a plus
- Experience with CI/CD pipeline, DevOps automation
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Communicate clearly to technical and business audiences
- Be well organized with a healthy sense of urgency, and able to set, communicate, and meet aggressive deadlines and milestones
- Self-motivate, learn quickly and deliver results with minimal supervision
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
About HomeAway: HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.