BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named 2020 “Best Place to Work” in Austin, is looking for a Software Development Engineer in Test, II (SDET) with strong experience in agile testing and test automation to join our team focused on iteratively improving our Billing Platform and Account Management experience for our merchants.
Who We Are
The BigCommerce engineering team is on a mission to build the leading SaaS ecommerce platform. Our global team of engineers works from our Austin, San Francisco, and Sydney offices and are focused on building the right product for our customers in the right way.
On the Billing Platform team, we build and extend the tools, marketplaces, and frameworks that enable our merchants and partners to manage their experience. Our primary languages are Ruby and React + TypeScript. Architecturally we use REST APIs, gRPC, and we leverage a host of internal deployment and cloud infrastructure tools.
BigCommerce makes quality a cornerstone of our software development and delivery philosophy. Every day, we’re trusted to handle tens of millions of dollars of transactions through our platform. We cannot achieve this trust without a heavy focus on quality through automation.
In this role, you’ll help us build and extend our automated testing frameworks in our domains. You’ll also work closely with software engineers, UI designers, and product managers to define stories, acceptance scenarios, test plans/cases and advocate for best practices that improve software quality.
What You’ll Do
- Work with a product manager to define features, acceptance scenarios, and test cases
- Advocate for customer experience through consistency and simplicity
- Work with engineers to ensure test cases are reflected in code and automated tests
- Identify opportunities to use end-to-end tests to provide greater value and confidence around software
- Advocate for practices and tools that promote quality, such as solution design, effective unit testing, static analysis, etc.
- Identify relevant quality metrics for the team like error rates and thresholds
- Advocate for, implement, and monitor tools that provide alerting on those metrics
- Investigate defects and produce minimum viable test cases to reproduce them
- Support frequent deployments to production
- Help foster a culture of pride and obsession around delivering quality software
Who You Are
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, MIS or related equivalent experience
- Experience with one or more of these frameworks: RSpec, PHPUnit, or jUnit.
- Experience with Selenium or Selenium Wrapper a plus.
- Experience with continuous integration tools like Travis, Circle, Bamboo, Jenkins
- Experience testing APIs using Postman, SoapUI, etc.
- Adept with both low level unit tests and high-level integration / full stack tests
- Passionate about the quality and integrity of software experiences and continuous improvement
- Capable of understanding business and technical needs of feature development and can help product managers and engineers make decisions that deliver quality features in an optimized timeframe
- Strong communication skills and can help facilitate meetings, discovery sessions, story writing, and documentation
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can solve production problems in the cloud.
- Recruiter Phone Screen
- Hiring Manager Screening
- Online Code Assessment
- Final Team Interview
- Note: Must be willing to relocate prior to start date