Software Engineer - Email Marketing & Platforms
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are looking for a Full Stack Software Developer to join the Email Marketing team within the Digital Platform Engineering team supporting our data efforts for email marketing. In this role, you will help set up data pipelines that enable data scientists and analysts to make critical business decisions on email marketing efforts. You will also contribute to the programmatic email platform that enables marketers to set up more personalized, data-reliant email campaigns. You will have a large impact on how the company utilizes resources to drive new customer acquisition, existing customer engagement, and repeat travelers. You work will lead to a direct impact on growing revenue for HomeAway.
What you’ll do:
- Challenges to work on:
- You will make use of state of the art data processing tools for handling email marketing data.
- You will further the understanding of how our email marketing data is used and partner closely with analysts and data scientists to enable them to make the best use of the data.
- You provide contributions to the creation of a platform for programmatic email to empower marketers to create more personalized, and contextually relevant email campaigns.
- You will modernize and expand our existing data processes to use cloud based technologies.
- Contribute through experimentation to our growing ecosystem of state of the art tools.
- You develop novel techniques to process and analyze events on a real-time streaming platform.
- You collaborate closely with marketing teams to implement and expand data connections for email marketing purposes.
- You will design and implement high-performance data models in NoSQL database technologies.
- Following Agile practices, you develop quality scalable, tested, and reliable data services using industry best practices.
- Create and maintain quality software using best-in-class tools: Git, Splunk, New Relic, Sonar and TeamCity.
- You will participate in the development of our next generation programmatic email platform.
What you will contribute:
Who you are:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field and 3+ years of professional experience or Master’s degree in above mentioned fields and 2+ years of professional work experience.
- 2+ years professional software development experience with Java and/or Scala with a focus on backend engineering.
- Experience with all aspects of data systems (both NoSQL and RDBMS) including database design and modeling, ETL processing, aggregation strategy, performance optimization, etc.
- Experience developing applications on NoSQL / streaming platforms (Hadoop, Kafka, K-Streams, Spark).
- Experience with UI development is a plus.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.