Software Engineer (full stack) at TeleVet
[ This is a senior-level role, which is at least 2-3 years of post-training / graduation experience with a company.
Full-stack experience should be about 60/40 or 70/30 balance of frontend / backend experience. ]
It’s a rare opportunity. TeleVet has a healthy client base and a solid, trusted product. Today, pet care professionals across the country are talking to pet parents about their loved ones using our platform. It’s a revolution in health care that is sweeping the industry, and we’re at the forefront. We need you to take us to the next chapter in our story!
This chapter will rebuild the product on a new platform with modern architecture and development best practices. As a full stack engineer, your job is to work between both needs of frontend and backend development. Taking the future of veterinarian-patient communication from our creative product team and making it real! It's important that you see the big picture of where we're going and fill in the gaps. We're growing, but our culture is one of sharing, supporting, and a thirst to provide an engaging and stable experience.
We are committed to improving the lives of pets, pet parents, and veterinarians. You’ll have the unique opportunity to help us build and nurture those relationships with the tools we create and maintain. Do you write clean, maintainable code? Do you support thoughtful discussions and challenge existing ideas? Share what you know, learn what you don't. You have great experience—help us accomplish our mission and elevate the team!
What you'll do
- Backend time (Node.js) will be needed a lot in the first 4-8 months, but will adjust to mostly being frontend
- Weigh in on architectural topics involving but not limited to the following:
- Docker Containers
- Prisma / GraphQL
- Load Balancers
- Queuing (RabbitMQ, Kafka)
- Databases (SQL vs. NoSQL)
- Creating Service-Oriented Architecture applications
- Promote best practices (development, deployment, ideation) in code reviews, discussion
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new applications and features
- Build and enhance advanced applications with ReactJS and NodeJS
- As a part of our team, provide estimates for features, bug fixes, upgrades, and new projects
- Participate in creating clear and concise documentation for our applications and custom-built frameworks
- Writing automated unit and feature tests to allow us to continuously deliver your great work
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency
- Implement telemetry and reporting
- At least 2 (solid) yrs of backend development experience (at least 1 year as a lead)
- Excellent knowledge of Node.js OR Excellent knowledge of other relevant languages (Python, Ruby, Elixir)
- Experience integrating data storage solutions (MySQL, MongoDB, ElasticSearch)
- 2+ yrs Experienced with scaling and performance improvements
- 2+ yrs Experience working on consumer-facing products and services
- 2+ yrs Experience with object-oriented programming patterns
- Knowledge of both relational and non-relational database systems (ie. MySQL, MongoDB)
- Experience creating unobtrusive RESTful API's (GraphQL is a bonus)
- High execution mindset while balancing the risk vs costs
- Familiarity with AWS cloud services, setting up servers is a bonus
- Team player eager to learn from and mentor other
- Experience in delivering production ready applications in a timely manner
- Experience in mentoring team members
- Excellent English language and communication skills
- Strong preference for open source tech
We're a team! Help other teammates with best practices you've learned and be ready to learn from our experiences as well. Code reviews are important to us. We strive for detailed, constructive, and thoughtful feedback. In general, have ownership - not just in your own work, but collectively, as a team. Help us elevate the team and make our products better.
- Competitive salary and stock options
- 100% paid healthcare plan premiums
- Free pet care benefits
- Flexible work hours with unlimited vacation
- Vibrant startup environment: casual dress code, happy hours, and free drinks/snacks
- Work from home when needed
- Extras like MacBooks, SXSW badges, and more!
TeleVet is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.