Software Engineer I, Mobile (Android) at BigCommerce
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
The BigCommerce Engineering team is on a mission to build the leading SaaS ecommerce platform. Our global team of engineers works from our Austin, San Francisco, and Sydney offices and are focused on building the right product for our customers in the right way.
BigCommerce, named a 2020 "Best Place to Work" in Austin is seeking a Mobile Engineer (Android) to join our mobile development team working on our brand new “heartbeat” application (launched iOS in September 2019) as well as building an array of forward-thinking mobile & experience applications for the BigCommerce platform.
If you are hungry, have that “start up” mentality, and are searching for an opportunity to be involved in the entire lifecycle of mobile app creation (concept, design, implement, test, release, and support) then look no further.
You can learn more about our mobile platform here:
Who You Are:
- A trusted engineer who has completed either a comprehensive software engineering boot camp, CS or equivalent degree, or has relevant work experience.
- Have a solid understanding of modern programming & design principles. You write tested, maintainable code that you are proud of & you are committed to keeping code quality high.
- An excellent communicator. You can explain not just your ideas, but the reasons behind them, and you’re comfortable to do that in person, over slack or email, or in a code review.
- You own your work and hold yourself responsible for results.
- You love to teach as well as to learn. You don't hesitate to ask for help and are always ready to provide help when needed because you want the whole team to grow.
Nice to Have:
- 1-2 years of software development experience with mobile application development experience (Swift & Kotlin preferred; Java & Objective-C accepted).
- Knowledge of the Android framework, tools/IDEs, testing and documentation.
- Understanding of the Android ecosystem and its guidelines for app development.
- Experience interfacing with REST APIs to power an application.
- Experience supporting the entire application lifecycle of consumer apps (concept, design, test, integration, publish/release and support).
- Experience with offline storage, threading, concurrency, and performance tuning.
- Portfolio of released applications on the iOS and/or Android app store.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with a small team of motivated designers, engineers, and product managers to help build a number of BigCommerce mobile applications.
- Be mentored by senior engineers to help you learn and grow.
- Participate in code reviews and mobile application debugging and diagnosis.
- See design requirements from concept through to completion (develop, debug, test, document and deploy).
- Push yourself to learn the full BigCommerce tech stack: Ruby, Scala, PHP, React, Angular, Node, Go, MySQL, Redis, Docker, Terraform, and more…
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can solve production problems in the cloud.
- Recruiter Phone Screen
- Hiring Manager Screening
- Online Code Assessment
- On-site Interview
Diversity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.
Current BigCommerce Employees: Please use the internal job board to apply for openings.