Software Engineer, Performance at WP Engine
At WP Engine, we are on a mission to help our customers win online. Whether that's helping an aspiring entrepreneur to turn their hobby into an online business or a multinational corporation to launch a new campaign in weeks instead of months, our platform is there to help them win - whatever that means for them.
As a consequence of our focus on the customer, we have been blessed with dramatic growth. This growth provides many opportunities to tackle hard problems at scale, to deliver new products that continue to make WP Engine the platform of choice for online agility. You will be an essential part of taking our platform to the next level both in scale and functionality, helping to advance best-in-class web performance for customers and their site visitors. This is your chance to drive real improvement in digital experience delivery at incredible scale.
We are searching for a proven Software Engineer with a strong analytical mindset to join our Performance Engineering team. Our infrastructure is both virtual and container-based and consists of thousands of servers running on multiple public cloud providers that host over 500,000 customer web sites, serving 4 billion requests every day, reaching 5% of the world's population. The ideal candidate will have a software engineering background and a history of applying software engineering skills and being a performance champion in an agile, fast-paced environment.THE DAY TO DAY
- Identify and measure key opportunities for optimization
- Provide hands-on leadership in architecting solutions, building and improving our platform and applications in a large-scale environment
- Produce quality, testable and maintainable systems
- Establish and implement standards for performance engineering
- Design and maintain systems and products to drive site owners towards faster sites
- Drive development of architecture for hosting millions of WordPress sites
- Collaborate with development and operations team members
- Ensure we keep the talent bar high, and grow the skills and capabilities of your team as our engineering organization grows
- Use your extensive experience to provide leadership and mentorship
- Bachelors in CS or related field, or meaningful industry experience.
- Extensive software engineering experience
- Instrumenting systems to enable performance monitoring
- Expressing value and progress as metrics
- Experience with Linux diagnostic and debugging tools
- Ability to work with and switch between multiple languages; eg. Python, Go, Ruby and PHP.
- Exceptional quality mindset
- Must thrive in a growing startup environment
Not required but a plus if you have experience with the following technologies:
- Kubernetes, Mesos, or other container orchestration software
- Chrome developer tools or other browser performance analysis tools
- New Relic or other Application Performance Monitoring tools
- Ansible, Salt, Chef, or Puppet
- Compensation (We offer market competitive salaries)
- Health Benefits (100% Paid Employee Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- 401(k) (Make the most of retirement)
- Life and Disability Insurance (100% Paid Life, STD, LTD and AD&D)
- Generous Vacation Time (Who doesn't like time off)
- Transportation (Downtown parking or commuter reimbursement)
- Lunch (Provided Tuesday – Thursday)
- Gym membership discount
At WP Engine, we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. WP Engine is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.