Vrbo, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. Vrbo is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
When it comes to engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. As a high-growth, e-commerce company, we are searching for hardworking and passionate software engineers. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas. We address a wide array of computer science problems including advanced web applications, cutting edge user interfaces, scalability and performance of applications, intelligent search algorithms, global data distribution and monitoring of distributed systems. You will work alongside a highly experienced team of engineers from various academic and industry backgrounds.What You’ll Do:
- Develop fast, scalable, highly available, and reliable property status software that will control the enabled status for all of Expedia’s properties
- Scale our services to tens of thousands of requests per second
- Use real-time data to understand performance and ensure system scalability
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment
- Develop property status funnel features that will drive our business through real-time feedback loops
- Scale our public API’s to allow other partners to leverage new Expedia Group services
- Scale our private API’s to allow enhanced Expedia UI experiences
- Simplify our core property status workflow to enhance both our travelers’ & suppliers’ experience
- Technologies we use:
- AWS, Docker, Dropwizard, Kafka, KStreams, KTables, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Swagger, Node.JS, React.JS, Hadoop, NoSQL, Jersey, Jetty, Mesos, Samza, Java 8, Kotlin and Linux.
- Backend development building applications from concept to completion
- Commit to ruthlessly rewriting, refactoring, and perfecting code
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed SOA environment
- Develop quality scalable, tested and reliable applications using industry best practices
- Work in an agile environment with QA, product management and operations
- Create and maintain quality software using best-in-class tools: Git, Splunk, New Relic, Sonar, etc.
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
- Bachelor's Degree or higher, preferably in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years overall development experience (Java experience strongly preferred).
- Results oriented, self-managed individual - consistent record of delivering on your estimates with minimal guidance.
- Leads by example in all aspects of software development - simple, elegant, scalable, well tested, documented.
- Strong software development skills (configuration management, issue tracking, estimation, Agile/Scrum).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent critical thinking skills.
- Experience with large distributed applications is a plus as is building/operating highly available systems.
- Prior background in high volume solutions, Service Oriented Architecture implementation, service versioning, and backward compatibility
- Strong technical proficiency in Java, JSON/XML, Web Services and object-oriented design, Kafka / Scala / Storm / Elasticsearch / Apache Cassandra
- Experience working in with AWS/Cloud infrastructure.
- Java ecosystem of tools including automated build and continuous integration (Gradle, Maven, Jenkins, Docker etc.)
- Writing clean and elegant technical designs is part of your DNA and you have the ability to instill the same drive in others.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility)
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on vrbo.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work and to provide them with tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.About Vrbo
In 1995, Vrbo introduced a new way for people to travel together, pairing homeowners with families and friends looking for places to stay. We were grounded in one purpose: To give people the space they need to drop the distractions of everyday life and simply be together. Since then, we've grown into a global community of homeowners and travelers, with unique properties in 190 countries around the world. Vrbo makes it easy and fun to book cabins, condos, beach houses and every kind of space in between.
Vrbo is part of HomeAway and the Expedia Group family of brands and offers homeowners and property managers exposure to over 750 million visits to Expedia Group sites each month. To learn more, visit www.vrbo.com.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.