Software Engineer at Aceable
ABOUT THIS POSITION
We are growing our team dedicated to the student learning experience and need an empathetic, collaborative, and innovative Software Engineer. Join us in developing the next generation of our web learning app as we migrate from AngularJS to React/Redux and be a part of a team who loves solving problems around content creation and reducing customer service issues within the Aceable learning app.
You’ll initially focus around front-end learning app work with opportunities to work in NodeJS APIs, MongoDB databases, and additional Vue frameworks for internal tools as you build business knowledge.
We are looking for developers who love to actively listen to a problem, collaborate with the team on how to best solve it, and have a sense of ownership when executing the final solution. We encourage every dev to search out the edge cases and solve not just the initial problem, but guarantee a robust solution that fits with the whole application.
Aceable is a mobile education platform that focuses on creating affordable, engaging, and convenient online courses available across all of your mobile devices. Built by former teachers, NASA engineers, and those passionate about education, the Austin-based team is obsessed with helping people reach life goals and milestones through online certification.
After launching its first mobile app to provide accredited driver's ed courses, Aceable expanded into real estate education and is quickly becoming one of the leading online real estate schools in the U.S. To date, Aceable touts more than 20 million students and counting. The team is proud of the hundred thousand plus students we're adding to the Aceable family per month. We're only getting started, and we need your help to get us to our vision of millions of students per month.
Aceable was named winner of the Austin Chamber of Commerce’s Austin A-List for the Hottest Growing Startup in 2017 and has been awarded as one of the Best Places to Work in Austin for multiple years running by numerous entities, such as the Austin Business Journal, BuiltInAustin, and EqualOcean. We actively work to foster a creative, collaborative, and diverse culture whose overall mission is to impact as many student-lives as possible.
ABOUT YOUR NEW TEAM
You’d be joining an engineering pod that focuses on student experience and learning. We are a friendly and close-knit team that believes in working together and swarming around issues to accomplish our two week sprints. It’s important to us that we communicate often, write a lot of good unit tests and E2E code, and encourage each other to solve problems creatively. We are one of three pods focused on the learning app side of the product, with three additional pods focused on pre-purchase marketing development.
At Aceable, we value developers who get excited about the latest concepts but realize the importance of a stable and scalable environment. The team prides themselves on continually helping each other achieve their goals, both inside and outside of Aceable.
At Aceable, you are not your code.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Build new experiences in React/Redux that improve learning through creative web-based interactions, optimized for mobile browsers.
- Help build out our UI component system developed with Storybook and React.
- Collaborate with your teammates to deliver a well-documented and unit tested experience for our Designers, QA, Android, iOS, and Web developers.
- Later on, expand our NodeJS API that delivers content to our client apps, building asynchronous functions that can scale to high volumes.
- Ideate with product managers and architects on large scale ideas.
- Work with other front-end developers and web app developers to maintain a consistent and healthy codebase methodology across our applications.
- Be mentored by our talented lead web app engineer, working with them to make key architecture decisions to ensure the app runs as smooth as possible.
- Challenge new ideas and be open to being challenged.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 3+ years of coding in a work environment (excluding incubators and hobby projects)
- A positive and collaborative, team-based mindset
- A strong desire to work in React + NodeJS
- Some experience working with databases
- Experience with NodeJS APIs
- Experience with scrum sprints
- Practice using Redux or Vuex concepts
- Practice deploying Heroku servers
- Specific experience with MongoDB
- Specific experience with NodeJS Express
- Knowledge of performance scaling and debug logging
- React/Redux/RxJS experience
- Join one of Austin's Best Places to Work in 2021
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Generous time off programs
- Flexible work schedule
- Passionate, high-achieving teammates excited to help you succeed and learn
- Our own space on the top floor of a downtown building
- A team meal every week
- Fully stocked drink fridges and snacks + cold brew coffee on tap
- Company events & activities (Holiday events, happy hours, quarterly volunteering)
- Free parking spot downtown in our garage 24/7 or a monthly transportation stipend
- Education stipend ($500/year/employee)
- Free Roadside Assistance subscription
- NOTE: Our team is currently remote due to Covid-19 and we have some awesome virtual perks that come with it (trivia, karaoke, bingo, happy hours, lunch & learns, and more)
At Aceable we celebrate and support all differences. Aceable is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital, disability, and veteran status.