The SQL Support Engineer provides ETL and product engineering support to customers and internal services teams. This position is responsible for resolving Tier 2 technical support issues by troubleshooting broken ETL workflows, implementing SQL code changes to our ETL data pipeline, and building custom filters in our products based on customers’ business logic. The SQL Support Engineer ensures all matters reach full-circle resolution by thoroughly tracking the lifecycle of an issue while maintaining strong lines of open communication with the customer. You will also help build and maintain data engineering and product documentation.
The SQL Support Engineer will work as part of the Customer Support team within the Data Engineer department at Civitas Learning. The primary functions of the Customer Support team are to maintain production data freshness and accuracy in customers’ apps, maintain app usability, and implement custom coding solutions post-deployment.
- Provide engineering and product support via email and phone to customers and internal teams
- Read and write complex multi-table SQL statements, optimizing for efficiency and minimizing technological risk
- Reproduce and diagnose the cause of product/data defects by investing app behavior, tracing to underlying database, and identifying cause in SQL code base
- Develop and debug ETL data transformations to map customer data systems into our canonical data schema using SQL
- Gather information and prescribe customer steps to resolution for expected vs. actual outcomes
- Monitor production environments such as data feeds and SLA uptimes.
- Gather customer requirements and business logic and translate into SQL logic for use in custom data views and filters
- Develop and debug data extract and ingest behavior using AWS and Linux cloud-based tools
- Create technical documentation to serve as a knowledge base for handling recurring support and data engineering needs
- Ensure partner inquiries are responded to within established timeframes and support service levels are achieved
- 2+ years experience in technical support or equivalent customer-facing role with a track record of increased responsibility
- Experience reading and writing complex SQL logic
- Experience working from a Linux command-line
- Ability to navigate SIS, LMS, and homegrown databases for root cause problem identification and analysis
- Possess advanced customer relations skills to de-escalate situations and build customer trust
- Excellent written, verbal, and listening skills to convey complex technical issues to appropriate audiences correctly for action or education
- Demonstrated experience learning new technical skills or product quickly
- Demonstrated appetite for working on vague technical problems with minimal guidance or training
- Experience in a tightly-knit team environment
Nice to Have Skills
- ETL pipeline development
- AWS (EC2, S3, Redshift)
- PeopleSoft, Banner, Colleague or Degree Works databases
- Python and/or Java
About Civitas Learning:
Civitas Learning partners with universities and colleges dedicated to helping more students learn well and finish strong. We provide tools and services for educators that bring together and make the most of their diverse and disconnected data streams; personalize information and support for their students; and deepen understanding of the impact of their student-success initiatives. Through our work together, our partners are empowering leaders, advisors, faculty, & students—and measurably improving enrollment, persistence, and graduation outcomes.
Today, Civitas Learning has more than 350 colleges and universities as customers, serving nearly 8 million students. Together with our growing community of customers, Civitas Learning is making the most of the world’s learning data to graduate a million more students per year by 2025.
Civitas Learning is located in the heart of downtown Austin, directly across from Lady Bird Lake and the Austin Hike and Bike Trail. Civitas offers a comprehensive benefits package including a company-wide bonus program, medical, dental, vision, disability insurance, onsite paid parking, 401-K Program and a flexible paid time off policy. Civitas Learning is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.