Sr. Software Development Engineer at Whole Foods Market (Austin, TX)
The Team…Financial Systems Development is a technology delivery team focused on building, configuring, and delivering solutions for Accounting, Finance, Real Estate, Legal, Tax, and New Business Development. We are a collaborative group of team members that work closely with each other and our business partners to ensure development work is completed on time and with high quality. We thrive on creativity, innovation, and automation. Technology platforms in our area include Workday (Financials), Coupa (Indirect Procurement), Adaptive Insights (Budgeting & Forecasting), Tango Analytics (Site Planning & Lease Administration), Sales Audit (Retail Sales Auditing & reconciliation), and other custom-built applications.
The Position…Financial Systems Development is in a transformational era. We’re sunsetting older, outdated on-premise systems and modernizing with SaaS and custom AWS solutions. We’re transitioning our ERP from PeopleSoft to Workday Financials and have recently implemented a new budgeting and forecasting toolset in Adaptive Insights. As we bring our technologies into a more modern state, we are looking for a passionate Software Development Engineer who will work alongside Agile Development teams to develop and enhance software solutions across various product releases. In this role, you will be responsible for creating scalable technical designs and code for complex financial systems applications, servicing users across various roles and responsibilities. This position will require you to work closely with peers and business partners to increase the efficiency and performance of our software solutions. Role is 90% coding to 10% architecture. Tech stack is .NET, C#, Java, Angular, Python, React JS, AWS, Container technologies, and more. Located in Austin, TX with up to 10% time spent traveling to software partner, regional offices, and/or store locations.
- Set, promote, and execute the technical vision, strategy, and delivery of multiple complex and high-priority projects that directly impact the systems and business strategies of Whole Foods and Amazon
- Contribute to architecture and design of large-scale, multi-tiered, distributed software applications, tools, and services, using object-oriented design and distributed programming
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions that demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment
- Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices
- Work with peers and business partners to document business processes and information technology requirements, analyze requirements, and prepare functional and technical specifications.
- Mentor fellow Team Members in software and application development best practices and methods
Education & Experience
- 5+ years of relevant and broad engineering experience
- 5+ years of experience working with popular enterprise programming languages (.NET, Java, C#)
- 2+ years of experience with AWS, including ECS, EKS, EC2, S3, and CloudFormation
- Proven deep understanding of system performance tradeoffs and engineering for high availability
- Experience building APIs, containerized microservices with orchestration patterns, serverless functions, and contributing to modern event-driven architecture
- A Bachelors (BS) or Masters (MS) STEM degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with Agile patterns and practices
- Proficient in a broad range of design approaches and know when it is appropriate to use them (and when it is not)
- Experience with modern data storage mechanisms, including working with both relational and document databases where applicable
- Experience building systems with strong instrumentation, monitoring, and alerting
- Experience working in and leading DevOps-enabled teams with a strong focus on automation, continuous delivery and deployment, and supporting technologies
- Experience delivering highly secure systems working with sensitive PII and GDPR data
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.