Sr. Software Engineer
CrowdStrike is the leader in cloud-delivered next-generation endpoint protection, threat intelligence, and pre- and post-incident response services. With the ability to collect and process over 200 billion events a day, CrowdStrike has revolutionized endpoint protection by being the first and only company to unify next-generation antivirus (AV), endpoint detection and response (EDR), and a 24/7 managed hunting service — all delivered via a single lightweight agent. We are one of the World's Most 50 Innovative Companies according to MIT, and one of Forbes Most Promising Companies. Our growth and innovation are driven by incredible employees who deliver unmatched customer success.
About the role:
Crowdstrike is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our growing Engine and Content Development (ECD) team, which focuses on security related endpoint development on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
The Engine and Content Development team is a central part of CrowdStrike’s mission - “We Stop Breaches." ECD implements strategies and processes that detect suspicious or malicious behavior. Sometimes these detection strategies are performed directly on the endpoint, and sometimes they’re evaluated in the cloud. We leverage a variety of techniques to accomplish this while also minimizing false positives. Our goal is to stop the bad guys automatically where possible, and to provide visibility and guidance to security analysts so they can effectively identify adversaries. We research attacker behavior to understand it, and we build capabilities to detect and stop attacks.
As a sensor engineer in the ECD team, you’ll work collaboratively to implement threat detections in the Falcon Sensor, a small kernel-level module that observes system activity and recognizes malicious behavior, then provides on-box prevention capability and remote telemetry to the Falcon cloud. You’ll help develop creative and resourceful ways to detect threats on Windows, Mac, and/or Linux systems. Features frequently cut across core OS subsystems such as file system, memory and process, and networking. You’ll get exposure to both user-level and kernel-level coding practices. Many features are built utilizing shared components across multiple platforms. You’ll collaborate with multiple teams within engineering, and will be expected to make significant contributions to the design and implementation of major development projects. We're looking for smart people who want to be challenged and take ownership of what they build.
- Design and build detection logic and systems leveraged across teams within CrowdStrike to detect cyber attackers and stop breaches.
- Extend our existing codebase and test suites utilizing C++, Python, and other tools as appropriate.
- Brainstorm, define, and build collaboratively across multiple teams.
- Build elegant, robust, and reliable solutions for complex technical problems.
- Obsess about learning, and champion the newest technologies & tricks with others, raising the technical IQ of the team.
- Deliver and accept feedback with grace and courtesy.
- Troubleshoot issues with the product when necessary, assisting customer support.
- Leverage your understanding of engineering best practices, including topics like secure coding, testing paradigms, effective peer code reviews, logging, and resilient architecture patterns, to ensure that our code is clean.
- Be an energetic ‘self-starter’ with the ability to take ownership and be accountable for deliverables, both individually and when leading a team.
What You'll Need
- 5+ years of experience designing, building, and delivering high-quality software in C/C++ and an interest in security, or 5+ years of experience with reverse engineering, threat detection, and malware analysis; and an interest in on-device development.
- Low-level OS knowledge in any of Windows, macOS, or Linux.
- Team player – able to lead, mentor, communicate, collaborate, and work effectively in a globally distributed team.
- Prior security experience, particularly in exploit and vulnerability analysis.
- Prior experience working with low-level code, such as OS kernel, firmware or device drivers.
- Understanding of kernel-mode and multi-threaded concurrent systems development in any of our supported platforms, with an interest to grow skills in all of them.
- Prior development or testing experience with python.
- Prior experience delivering software via agile processes.
Benefits of Working at CrowdStrike:
- Market leader in compensation + stock options
- Competitive vacation policy
- Comprehensive health benefits + 401k plan (US only)
- Paid paternity and maternity leave, including adoption
- Flexible work hours and remote friendly environment
- Wellness programs
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats
- Peer recognition
- Inclusive culture focused on people, customers and innovation
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, community service events CrowdStrike believes that diversity and inclusion among our organization is essential to our success as a global company, and we seek to attract, retain and empower the industry’s best and brightest from a diverse talent pool.
CrowdStrike believes that diversity and inclusion among our organization is essential to our success as a global company, and we seek to attract, retain and empower the industry’s best and brightest from a diverse talent pool.
CrowdStrike is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.