Staff Java Software Engineer
HomeAway is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to play a vital role engineering and building out solutions and tools that enable our global Sales and Customer Experience teams to support millions of vacation rental owners and traveler customers across HomeAway platform. We are looking for an adaptable, high performing, motivated and self-reliant Software Engineer with a consistent track record developing leading edge web applications in a cloud architecture, using hundreds of separate services and applications, with a highly flexible web layer using the latest technologies.
What you’ll do:
- Challenges you will work on:
- Develop features relying on event-driven, microservices, and data science programming models
- Translate designs into high-quality code
- You are able to optimize components for maximum performance across a vast array of cloud (AWS) services
- Conduct peer code reviews and act as a go-to person for other developers needing technical advice
Who you are:
- Desired development skills:
- Bachelor's Degree or higher, preferably in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of software development experience delivering consumer-facing web applications
- Experience collaborating on a cross-functional team including product management, architects, and UI Designers
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum team environment
- Deep understanding of Java, Node.js and NoSQL databases for server-side application development
- Thorough knowledge of Kafka for event-driven application development
- Familiarity with test-and-learn approaches using web and customer analytics data, understanding how these will drive hypotheses-based development
- A keen interest in optimizing CI/CD process and tools, testing frameworks and practices
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.