Realtor.com is seeking a Staff Performance Engineer to support our rapidly growing business. You’ll have a pivotal role in designing and implementing performance engineering culture, systems, and tools in a fast-paced environment. The key to this role is your proven ability to influence, mentor, and coach engineering teams to build robust and scalable web solutions with an eye for performance.
If you’re keen to contribute to the delivery of high performance, high traffic applications, with built-in scalability and monitoring in the AWS cloud, then read on! Our exciting vision is to transform the real estate industry in supporting people to ‘love where they live’! We provide real estate professionals with the content, tools, and data intelligence they need in order to provide unparalleled service to their clients who are making big real estate decisions.
You will touch on all aspects of the product delivery including understanding acceptance criteria, designing the application, writing/testing/deploying code, and monitoring the system. You will be able to make an impact, leveraging your highly developed collaboration abilities to deliver on broad cross-organization initiatives, producing industry-leading web applications and services.Challenges you will be pursuing:
- Expected to be a champion of performance, improving backend and frontend performance contributions.
- Identify performance bottlenecks in the product and platform; work with other engineers to analyze and remediate issues.
- Be a team player: Everything happens within a team; you will have the opportunity to work with domain experts, product managers and the broader engineering team.
- Ability to pick up engineering tasks designing, developing, and maintaining product features, at a similar capability to an equivalently leveled software engineer.
- Develop solutions that are of high quality, scalable, cloud-based, reliable, and reusable.
- Use performance best practices to explore, drive, and implement performance testing solutions and tools in order to maximize site reliability.
- Work with the teams to create and maintain automated ‘performance’ tests.
- You will contribute to and lead process improvement initiatives to improve performance.
- Monitor our production services for performance issues and advise the teams on how to go about fixing them.
- Coach, mentor, and guide junior team members to deliver the best solution.
- You will coach and coordinate performance testing amongst teams and collaborate on test design and execution.
- You will identify cross-team dependencies, communicate clearly with other teams and seek collaborative solutions.
- Partner with engineering leadership to build data-driven roadmap items to address performance in critical areas.
- Knowledge of performance and security testing concepts
- Experience with the AWS stack (EC2, ECS, Lambda, SQS, Kinesis, RDS, MongoDB, DynamoDB, Redis, CloudFront, WAF)
- NoSQL databases, preferably GraphQL or Elasticsearch
- Performance testing tools such as NeoLoad, K6, JMeter, WebPageTest, SpeedCurve, Lighthouse, and SiteSpeed.io
- Performance testing both front end (UI) and backend (API)
- Troubleshooting technical, performance issues, also CDN optimization
- Familiar with basic metrics to measure software performance
- Basic knowledge of Linux OS
- Basic understanding of networking
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field, or equivalent professional experience and 5+ years experience with performance test automation and/or development.
- Preferably, 2+ years experience putting in practice sound software engineering fundamentals (frontend or backend).
At realtor.com®, we believe that everyone deserves a home of their own. We’re a community of nearly 2,000 employees who work hard to ensure that from the moment someone starts dreaming about a new home, to the moment they walk in the door and beyond, we’re there to lend a helping hand. Every month, over 85 million people trust us with their journey home by visiting our site and mobile apps, and we’d love to have you join our team to help.
We’ve got great offices in the U.S. and Canada with lots of sweet jobs to choose from, so we’re hoping you’ll join us on our journey to make buying, selling, renting, and living in homes easier and more rewarding for everyone.
Let’s make a difference, together. For Real.