Staff Software Engineer, Backend at Juniper Square
Our mission is to make the world’s private capital markets more efficient, transparent, and accessible. Privately owned assets like commercial real estate make up half of our financial ecosystem yet remain inaccessible to most people. We are digitizing these markets and as a result bringing access to millions who don’t currently benefit from one of the most productive corners of our financial ecosystem. If you care about making the world a better place by making markets work better through technology—all while contributing as a member of a values-driven organization—we want to hear from you. We’ve doubled our team in each of the past four years while maintaining an excellent culture and staying true to our values. We are well-funded, have a strong business, and building for the long-term.
Read more about the team, culture, and recent projects on our Engineering Blog.
As a staff software engineer at Juniper Square, you will be primarily a technical leader, identifying and acting on opportunities to increase the efficiency, stability and consistency of the engineering team. Other responsibilities could include leading an engineering team and collaborating closely with product, design, and QA teams to build and deliver delightful user experiences, making complex workflows simple and intuitive.
You will be leading efforts to instill and iterate on engineering best practices, ensuring a healthy codebase, ultimately leveling up the team.
Specifically, you will:
- Provide backend-focused technical leadership, leveling up existing team members and helping build high-performance teams
- Position our backend infrastructure, both application-related and devops-related, for success as we transition from a startup to an organization
- Actively seek opportunities to improve our platform and developer experience and own those initiatives through execution
- Implement and ensure best practices across the teams to maximize developer productivity
- Own the long-term vision of key focus areas such as our evolution towards service-oriented architecture, our build-and-deploy processes, and code quality initiatives
- Contribute directly through defining and building necessary frameworks, optimizing system performance, conducting code reviews, and participating in architecture and system design discussions
- Actively monitor and address production issues
- Write high-quality code that is well-tested, secure, and maintainable
- Lead the development of complex workflows, working with both frontend and backend engineers and cross-functional partners
- Mentor other engineers and designers across the company on best practices for backend development
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience
- 6+ years of experience building web-based using modern MVC frameworks
- Expertise in Python or other server-side web application development languages
- Experience with SQL database schema design and query optimization
- Experience with GraphQL is a plus
- You must be flexible and adaptable—you will be operating in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Health, dental, and vision care for you and your family
- Unlimited vacation policy and paid holidays
- Generous paid family leave, medical leave, and bereavement leave policies
- 401k retirement savings plan
- Healthcare FSA and commuter benefits programs
- Freedom to customize your work and technology setup as you see fit
- Professional development stipend
- Monthly work from home wellness stipend while we're all remote
- Mental wellness coverage including live coaching and therapy sessions
- Home office productivity allowance to help create an ideal work from home setup
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you’ve just read! Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Juniper Square's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.