Staff Software Engineer (External APIs) at Bestow
Sorry, this job was removed at 1:52 p.m. (CST) on Monday, December 16, 2019
Who We Are
Bestow is a digital life insurance company built on full stack technology and AI. In a world in need of greater financial resilience and protection, Bestow democratizes access to smart financial products and powers some of the world’s leading consumer platforms. We are reimagining and rebuilding a 400-year-old, $7 trillion industry to create a brighter future for millions of families. And we’re just getting started.
The Bestow team is a diverse band of first principles thinkers on a mission to do good. We’re fortunate to be backed by leading investors and partners including Valar Ventures, NEA, 8VC and MunichRe.
As a Staff Software Engineer on our Partner team you will lead development on external-facing APIs for our business partners. Much of the space is greenfield and will require making significant foundation decisions.
You take great pride in your craft and look for ways to improve our software and team effectiveness. You enjoy designing and documenting APIs and empathize with the developers using them. You have prior experience designing and implementing distributed systems. You balance concerns of maintainability, reliability and scalability with the need to deliver results. Less experienced engineers look to you for guidance and feedback on their work, and you’re thrilled to provide it.
Bestow software engineers are great teammates. You are willing to collaborate with other software engineers, product managers and designers. You also have exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
Do you want to build products to reinvent a centuries old industry? If so, we'd love to hear from you.
Challenges on which you can expect to work:
Designing, Building and Maintaining APIs
We're a startup with a long product roadmap. You'll be working with a team to make that roadmap a reality. You will:
Write technical design documents to communicate the intent of system changes;
Develop external facing APIs using Go or Python 3;
Evaluate open source technologies such as API gateways and service meshes;
Use code analysis and verification tools including autoformatting type hints and testing to detect and resolve defects early in the development process;
Peer review code developed by others on your team;
Ensure software is secure, maintainable and extensible;
Collaborate with product managers, other engineers, and our partnership team.
Ensuring a Robust Software Platform
Great software is more than product features. It simultaneously considers non-functional concerns like security, maintainability and extensibility. You will:
Take ownership over issues arising from previously delivered features;
Ensure the security of our applications through participation in external penetration tests, threat modeling and security-focused code review;
Use modern extensibility methods such as feature toggles;
Automate routine developer workflows such as environment setup.
Fostering Best Practices
We might be small but we've got big ambitions. Folks joining the team will be defining our software engineering culture. You are someone that strives to build a premier engineering organization.
Measure quality metrics such as test coverage and gradually improve themLeave code in a better place than it was when you started;
Encourage automation and continuous improvement.
A Little About You:
- 6+ years of back end software development experience
- Professional experience with Python 3
- Experience with statically typed languages (C#, Java, Golang, Rust, etc...).
- Professional experience with a relational database like PostgreSQL.
- Experience using Docker/Kubernetes for software development and deployment.
- Experience designing and documenting APIs (Protocol Buffers, RAML, Swagger, OpenAPI, etc.).
- Experience with distributed systems and microservices.
- Advocated for Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD).
- Clear, concise written and verbal communication.
- You thrive in a highly independent work culture and are capable of working autonomously.
- You have initiative and motivation to make things happen.
- You always want to sit next to the person who is smarter than you because you value a culture of mentorship and learning.
- You are egoless, hold yourself accountable and you have a thoughtful approach to adopting new technology.
- You are looking to bring your voice and talent to a mission-driven company in ways that help it to grow and expand its reach.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bestow does not currently sponsor applicants for work visas.
Read Full Job Description