Staff Software Engineer, Geospatial
As a member of the Digital Platform team, you will have a unique opportunity to develop data products and services that surface deep insights about our markets, properties, and competition, while being part of an engineering group leading the way in building a world-class data platform.
What you’ll do:
- Develop services to collect, enrich, and persist information from stream, batch, and programmatic data sources.
- Develop comprehensive geo measures and attributes that enable deeper understanding of vacation rental markets and locations
- Develop code to interface with internal and external RESTful API services to build and enrich data products.
- Design and implement high-performance data models in Relational and NoSQL database technologies
- Develop and configure resilient online and offline data processing jobs
- Dockerize apps and microservices for CI/CD deployment
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Develop and maintain high-quality software using best-in-class tools: Git, Splunk, New Relic, Datadog, Qubole, and Jenkins
Who you are:
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent
- 9+ years of development experience including 4+ years engineering geo solutions and performing geospatial analytics
- Proficiency with SQL (ideally T-SQL or pgSQL), SQL Spatial (data types, functions and methods, indexing) and geospatial analytics on Spark
- Familiarity with geospatial software and tools (Mapbox, Mapboxgl, Leaflet, PostGIS, etc.)
- Proficiency developing in Java, Scala, or Python
- Strong understanding of OOP/OOD/Functional programming principles
- Experience with large scale data processing including data modelling, ETL, aggregation strategy, and performance optimization
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.