Staff Software Engineer
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia Group family of brands. HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and run bookings online.
About HomeAway's Marketplace Ranking Team
The Marketplace Ranking team is a hybrid of engineers and data scientists that is responsible for the platform, machine learning and business logic that powers ranking for HomeAway's search results page. We are a highly visible team, with a lot of opportunities to drive business value. The engineering team consists of 2 pods. A pod based in Bellevue WA which is focused on optimization and streamlining of the platform. And a pod in Austin TX which works closely with the data scientists on the pipeline from ideation, through A/B test validation and final production integration.
About your opportunity
You will lead the technical vision for the A/B testing pod. Improving efficiency through streamlining and automating workflows, and ensuring our testing runs smoothly. You will partner with our data scientists to understand their needs, and share your takeaways across HomeAway and Expedia Group.
You will love this role if you’re looking for an environment
- That is agile, outcome focused and low ego
- Where diverse opinions are valued
- And accountability is about improving for next time
- Where learning from others and sharing your knowledge is an expectation
- And supporting each other's goals is celebrated
Required skills and experience
- Strong software engineering fundamentals
- Building and supporting web-scale production services
- Data pipelines and real time data management
- Production data science systems
- Engineering team mentorship and technical leadership
- A hunger to learn and improve others
Technologies we use:
- Languages: Java, Python, Scala
- Data Science: Pandas, Numpy, Scipy
- Data: Redis, Kafka, KStreams, Spark
- Architecture: Microservices, Lambda (for data)
- Infrastructure: git(Hub), Docker, Jenkins
- Communication: Slack, JIRA, Google Docs, Blue Jeans
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress code
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.