Wheel is bringing the future of work to healthcare. Wheel is a first-of-its-kind enterprise that provides healthcare clients access to a flexible workforce of virtual care clinicians, and the tech-enabled infrastructure required to mobilize it rapidly and compliantly to improve patient access to care. Our mission is to change the way healthcare works by putting clinicians first, because happier clinicians make healthier patients. We’re headquartered in Austin, Texas, and recently named one of Built In Austin’s Best Places to Work, Best Small Company to Work For and Best Paying Company. Wheel is venture-backed by top investors with a track-record of growth-- and we’re building an amazing team of Wheelies. Come join us! Check out a recent Crunchbase article about our growth.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone by ensuring how we work is aligned with our core values of:
Grit to grow.
To learn more about how we work, check out our careers page.
As Staff Software Engineer at Wheel, you’ll help set the bar for engineering excellence. Our self-motivated, versatile, compassionate engineers are ready for this mentor to help navigate the exciting developments of our product. As the majority of our development work is ‘green field,’ this technical leader will have the opportunity to be part of defining best-in-class solutions to challenges facing virtual healthcare.
- Lead large-scale technical efforts and provide technical oversight of Wheel’s core products
- Embody a ‘build-learn-iterate’ model in order to move our product forward
- Mentor and grow more junior engineers
- Be able to “zoom in” on tasks like day-to-day coding, as well as “zoom out” on bigger/long-term projects
- Collaborate with Product, Design, and executive leadership to scale our business
- Lead conversations around important business decisions such as process development and tooling
- 8+ years experience in software development*
*modern languages/paradigms and open source, cloud technologies preferred
- Experience working in complex and/or large-scale engineering environments
- Demonstrated ability to grow and mentor more junior engineers
- Clairvoyance and foresight to see the ‘big picture’ and anticipate/avoid roadblocks
- Exemplary prioritization, delegation, and communication skills
- Proven ability to review code thoroughly and collaboratively
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
At Wheel, we know we will go further together by celebrating diversity and that starts by honoring each of our unique lived experiences. We look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups: women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans and people from different socioeconomic background. We are committed to ensuring a safe work environment where employees are not discriminated against based on age, race, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, martial status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that believes in health, equity, equality, and prosperity for all so we can succeed in changing the way healthcare works.
Read Full Job Description