Staff Systems Engineer at Expedia Group
We are seeking a Staff Systems Engineer to join our Site Reliability Engineering team, part of Vrbo's Hybrid Cloud Technology organization. In this role, you will partner with our engineers to drive solutions and execution for our two key service areas; operational support for our hosted product stacks and systems engineering & management. You will focus on hybrid cloud hosted solutions and applications with an automation driven approach to deployment and configuration. A deep understanding of our hosted products as well as the operational infrastructure will be key to success in this role. You will work closely with our team of software engineers and managers along with our other hosting operations teams to offer the tools and hosting required quickly and efficiently while maintaining quality of work you're doing.What You'll Do
- Design, planning and architecture of web hosting services/processes in both cloud and on-premise data centers including systems lifecycle and other core services such as configuration management, load balancing and DNS
- Senior-level Linux system administration (deploy, maintain, patch/service pack application, debug, elevated support, performance tuning, monitoring, in an online hosted application environment
- Drive to bridge data flows from on-premise data centers and cloud platforms as we continue to migrate services to the cloud.
- Utilize automation/orchestration tools to expedite deployment and configuration of systems
- Work with CI/CD tools to ensure that code deployments can be executed in an efficient manner across all platforms
- Maintain standard methodologies and procedures for patch management, virus management, and operating system upgrades
- Collaborate effectively with engineering teams and leaders across the company to contribute to our shared goals
- Provide platform, software and systems support as an operations team member.
- Create and maintain IT document library: Change Management, SOP and internal user documentation
- Maintain and support multiple hybrid cloud data centers and monitoring of daily operations
- Perform other duties as required
Technical Skills Required:
- 7+ years of experience in a Senior Linux Administrator role working with, in an online hosted application environment
- Validated experience with cloud PaaS/IaaS (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Demonstrable experience with automation/orchestration tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, Terraform etc.)
- Successful track record of driving infrastructure projects to completion
- Possess a high-degree of experience deploying, supporting and leading Linux (centOS, Ubuntu, Redhat) with a focus on deployment and configuration automation
- Expert knowledge of industry standard methodologies on system design
- Ability to work independently as required
- Demonstrate excellent customer service delivery to all levels of the organization and properly manage expectations
- Successfully manage multiple tasks and priorities, identify creative options and solutions, able to analyze data, and the ability to manage internal and external contacts
- A strong focus on automation and scalability with various scripting languages (Bash, Python, Ruby, Go etc.)
- Working experience with version control repositories
- Working knowledge of Atlassian products highly desired (Jira, Confluence)
- Working knowledge or some experience using Agile Methodologies/Frameworks highly desired
- On-call as needed
Other Skills/Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent professional experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication along with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well with coworkers in a team environment with blameless postmortems & RCAs
- Strong mindset of building & maintaining reliable, available services
- Possess a high level of attention to detail and quality, strong administrative and organizational skills
- Display a high degree of professionalism at all times: candor, confidentiality, tact, collaborative and resourcefulness
- Sensitive to deadlines in a fast-paced and fluid environment
- Agile learner with demonstrated ability to effectively and efficiently manage several tasks simultaneously
- Enthusiasm and dedication for information technology
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on Vrbo.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
In 1995, Vrbo introduced a new way for people to travel together, pairing homeowners with families and friends looking for places to stay. We were grounded in one purpose: To give people the space they need to drop the distractions of everyday life and simply be together. Since then, we've grown into a global community of homeowners and travelers, with unique properties in 190 countries around the world. Vrbo makes it easy and fun to book cabins, condos, beach houses and every kind of space in between.
Vrbo is part of HomeAway and the Expedia Group family of brands and offers homeowners and property managers exposure to over 750 million visits to Expedia Group sites each month. To learn more, visit www.vrbo.com.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.