Summer 2022 - Mechanical Engineering Internship - Space Structures and Thermal Systems
Please Note: US citizenship or permanent residency is required for this position.
CesiumAstro is a rapidly growing space technology startup in Austin, Texas, developing out-of-the-box communication systems for satellites, UAVs, launch vehicles, and other space and airborne platforms. Our approach is unique, and our team is changing the world of space communications. Learn more about our company at https://www.cesiumastro.com.
We are looking to add a mechanical intern to the team for Summer 2022 who will design and build space structures and thermal systems for satellite communication systems.
The mechanical systems intern will work closely with Cesium engineers on product development, design, test, and manufacturing of structures and thermal systems for space communication systems. Areas of focus will include the design of conduction-cooled packaging, deployable structures and mechanisms, and lightweight composite space structures. Assignments will be determined by a mix of project availability and the interests of the successful candidates.
Cesium interns regularly present their work to peers, mentors, and Cesium executive leadership throughout the course of the summer. As such, excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
Successful candidates will require, as a minimum:
- Current or future enrollment in a Master of Science (MS) or PhD program in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering from an accredited university.
- Upper-level undergraduate coursework in structures and heat transfer.
- Experience with mechanical FEA tools, such as SolidWorks Simulation or ANSYS.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Preferred experience includes:
- Familiarity with electronics assemblies.
- Experience with EMI/EMC mitigation techniques.
- Experience with CNC manufacturing.
- Aerospace or automotive electronics design, development, and qualification.
To apply, please include a cover letter describing your interest in mechanical systems and either space systems or electronic products, as well as your status as a US citizen or permanent resident.
All Cesium internships are compensated competitively.
CesiumAstro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.