At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
Cloudflare’s Engineering Team builds and runs the software that handles trillions of requests per month. Product development covers both new features and functionality and scaling our existing software to meet the challenges of a massively growing customer base.
The Cloudflare for Teams group within the Engineering organization is taking on the mission of ensuring the people and teams within an organization can access the tools they need to do their job safe from malware and other online threats with the speed and reliability that Cloudflare is known for.What you'll do
In this role you’ll help us build Gateway, an ambitious product that aims to be the most secure and performant method for an organization’s devices to connect to the Internet. As an engineer on the Gateway team, you will focus on our high-performance global edge network data plane services and will also contribute to the control plane API’s that configure the edge services. You will be joining a global team of bright, hard-working, and supportive engineers who really care about their craft.
Example of systems that the team currently is building:
- A forward-proxy service running on every machine of Cloudflare’s extensive edge network, responsible for inspecting, filtering, and blocking device requests based on an organization’s configured policy.
- A DNS resolver running on our edge that leverages a Wirefilter based filtering rules engine.
- Microservices that allow organizations to configure, manage, and observe their organization's devices and their respective traffic.
Technologies we use:
- Gateway’s core edge services are written in Rust and deployed globally to 200+ data centers
- Our REST API is written in Go, runs on Kubernetes, and uses Postgres as a data store.
- Our frontend is written in Typescript and React.
- For service monitoring we use Prometheus and Grafana.
- For service logging we use Elasticsearch and Kibana.
- For product analytics we use Clickhouse and BigQuery.
Because you’ll be solving problems of massive scale and significance, and shaping the future of the Internet, you are a growth-oriented individual who enjoys being outside of your comfort zone in a fast-paced environment.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
As an ideal candidate for this position, you are curious, hard-working, and passionate.
A rough list of the skills we would love to see you bring:
- Programming experience in Rust, C++, or similar low level languages
- Programming experience in Go and/or Typescript is a plus, but not required
- A strong grasp of networking protocols in Layers 3-7 of the OSI Model
- Solid understanding of HTTP protocols - including experience with HTTP/2 and bonus for HTTP/3 experience
- Basic understanding of software security and encryption
- Experience in designing and implementing secure and highly-available distributed systems
- Willingness, curiosity, and enthusiasm to learn new programming languages, technologies, and systems
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Caring and empathy are coveted traits here
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
126.96.36.199: We released 188.8.131.52 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.