CUSTOMER-FOCUSED | LEADER | TENACIOUS
A Cloud Guru is looking for a Team Lead, Engineering to lead our Customer & Content Tooling team. You'll drive agile delivery practices while owning and operating services and systems and embodying a “you build it, you run it” approach to development and operations in addition to identifying opportunities to improve security of systems and products. You'll work directly with the B2B Growth team, product and other stakeholders to deliver at scale solutions.Hello, we're A Cloud Guru
Our friends call us ACG.
A Cloud Guru was built by engineers for everyone, everywhere. Here, you’ll have the freedom to follow your curiosity. We’re not afraid to just try, because when you’re working with cutting edge technologies, experimentation and trying out new ideas have to be encouraged and celebrated. Our engineers are building the world’s largest (and most awesome) cloud learning platform. Why? Our mission is to teach the world to cloud. Our fun, practical courses have helped over 1.5 million people learn to cloud, and we’re just getting started.
We’re not a training company that just decided to sell training courses. We grew up out of the cloud ecosystem. We were a bunch of cloud engineers who pulled people together to create a training platform. That’s why we’re genuinely passionate about what we create. And we are known for practicing what we preach.What makes the Product & Technology team awesome...
Learning to cloud means unlocking a world of possibilities for our students. Using the latest tech, we design the tools to teach people cloud faster and better. The team is talented (and a little quirky), and we’re all in it together.
- Cutting-edge tech We’ve built a cloud-first Serverless Architecture with tools like Lambda, API Gateway, GraphQL, ReactJS,
- Founded by engineers Having a CEO who’s also an engineer is nice — he knows the effort it takes to make things awesome.
- We don’t bite We’re friendly, down-to-earth, and collaborative. There are no high-performing jerks and no heroes. Just great teams.
- Hungry and humble We’re dedicated to learning all the things to create the best product possible.
You'll do well at ACG if you're open to learning and trying new things, and you like to be surrounded by other friendly, passionate and driven people. –Natasja, Makeup Guru (and Software Developer)As a Team Lead, Engineering at ACG, you’ll get to:
- Drive strong Agile delivery practices, with a focus on lean and systems thinking
- Lead delivery of initiatives, providing visibility of initiative progress and roadblocks
- Work with the Product team to understand and analyze business requirements in order to design and implement technical solutions
- Own and operate the services and systems the team is responsible for, taking responsibility for availability, performance, security and incident management
- Ensure products are well designed, well built and have flexible architectures so that they meet today’s needs whilst providing flexibility so that they can be incrementally extended and improved as requirements change and grow
- Develop, refine and extend build of systems and tools to ensure seamless build, provisioning, deployment and monitoring of cloud services and components
- Be the technical leader in your team; help provide guidance to other developers, solve complex business logic problems, recommend new ways to utilize technologies incorporating context around scalability, cost, code maintenance etc.
- Undertake regular one-on-one meetings and conducts regular performance and development reviews
- Assist in the recruitment and management of technical staff
We focus on hiring values aligned people, because we believe the right person can learn all the things to be successful in their role. Self-confidence plays a big part in what you apply for. We encourage all job applicants to apply even if they are nervous to do so. College degrees aren't required for any roles, and career gaps or switches are totally welcome.
- Experience leading software engineering teams or managing people
- Experience operating as a Delivery Lead, managing and prioritizing objectives for an Agile Software Engineering team
- Experience writing software using Node and React (experience with Angular or Rails considered a bonus)
- Experience with other aspects of building software such as; software architecture, tooling, DevOps, SRE, incident management or threat modeling
- Experience driving process improvements to increase team effectiveness and quality; such as TDD, BDD, DDD or clean code and other design principles
- Ability to establish relationships, manage stakeholders and work with other business teams, using external feedback to adapt the way we ship products
We want the people who care about doing a good job. The ones who have the humility and hunger to learn. - Sam Kroonenburg, Co-Founder and CEOMore than a job
Where you work isn’t just a career decision -- it’s a life decision. We get it. That’s why we want all of our Gurus to feel a sense of belonging that comes from feeling supported in all areas of their lives. Everyone has family, friends and interests outside of their careers, so we offer perks and benefits to make work, work better for you.
- 4 weeks PTO, plus 10 sick days, and holidays. Whether it's hiking to a waterfall in Costa Rica or bonding with your couch, we all need downtime. All Gurus get four weeks paid time off, 10 sick days, and enough holiday to make a banker blush.
- Let's get lunch. Lunches are catered three times per week, and our kitchen stays stocked with a smorgasbord of the team’s most requested snacks and drinks.
- Parking is on us. We have your Downtown parking covered. We offer paid garage parking nearby the office. We also have perks for going green by walking and taking public transit.
- We’ve got you covered. We offer insurance plans that pay for 100% of your medical, dental, and vision, and 80% for your family/dependents.
- Gender-neutral paid parental leave. Expanding your family? We offer 12 weeks of gender-neutral paid parental leave, and reimburse up to $10,000 for eligible adoption expenses.
- $1,000 continuing education budget. All Gurus get $250 a quarter to spend on personal development, and 2 hours each week reserved for learning something new.
The A Cloud Guru team has grown a lot since it was just two brothers with a dream of teaching the world to cloud! We now employ gurus in 30 states of the USA as well as in Australia and the UK. For the time being that’s as far as we can go. We won’t bore you with the details, but setting up the extra operations we would need to employ people in new states or countries is a little bit more expensive than replicating your database in another AZ, if you know what we mean. So as much as we would love to have staff in as many countries as we have students, we are only opening this role to applicants in areas we currently have operations.
If you’re not sure if your US state is included, please still apply! We will let you know if you are in a state that we currently don’t have operations. If anything changes we will reach back out.What’s the interview process like at ACG?
Applying for a job can feel intimidating and like a full-time job of its own. You shouldn’t have to burn through a week of sick time or all your best out-of-office excuses just to put feelers out for a new career opportunity. We want to be as transparent about the process as possible to help ease your mind. It’s our goal to provide you a fair, efficient interviewing experience that respects you and your time — and to do it all with a sidecar of delight.
Once you submit an application, we’ll review it. If you’re a good fit, you’ll have an initial chat with a recruiter over the phone. A phone interview with a manager typically follows. Depending on your role, you might then be asked to do a little homework (but nothing too time consuming). Then we’ll schedule a Zoom call to meet other members of the team, answer any questions you have, and give you a feel for what it’s really like to work at ACG. If you're on the fence, just give it a try.
Keep being awesome, Cloud Gurus.