Triage Engineer at MongoDB
MongoDB is seeking highly technical candidates for a role in the Core Server team as a Triage Engineer. Server Triage and Release is a support-focused group within the engineering organization. We are responsible for resolving technical issues reported by both our users and our technical services teams.
An ideal candidate has excellent written communication skills especially involving technical topics, is well organized, has consistent attention to detail, and understands how to decompose and solve complex problems.
If you are a generalist who is ready to refine your skills across all aspects of a product through all stages of its lifecycle, this is the team for you. You will work closely with highly skilled engineers and developers, encounter many different kinds of problems, develop scripts and tools to assist in our efforts, contribute to documentation and communication activities, shape processes, and help guide the MongoDB server product itself.
What you'll do
- Work with the Engineering and Technical Services teams to debug and reproduce bug reports from MongoDB users and escalate problems as needed
- Help MongoDB users understand their challenging technical problems and provide workarounds when possible
- Recognize patterns, and effectively categorize and create links between related issues and projects
- Contribute to the Server Triage and Release Team’s technical projects, which include tools and diagnostics development, benchmarking, writing documentation and crafting training material
What you'll need to succeed
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) are critical as you will be working with users from all over the world with very diverse backgrounds, as well as with a highly technical engineering team
- Interest in thorny technical issues central to databases: distributed systems, consensus algorithms, data replication, query optimization, data storage, OS internals, concurrency and scheduling, networking, etc.
- Ability to:
- quickly grok and clearly synthesize implications of system behavior
- comfortably navigate through linux systems using a shell
- read and understand the intent of code and stack traces in many languages, especially C++
In 3 Months
- You are comfortable handling tickets with identifiable diagnostic signatures
- You can identify user reported tickets that don’t describe bugs
- You have written detailed issue summaries for downstream teams
In 6 Months
- You are identifying issue patterns and escalating when appropriate
- You can take any issue and work it to completion, either by working it yourself or knowing who and when to pull in additional help
- You have made contributions to our diagnostic tools
In 12 Months
- You are influencing the product roadmap based on issues you’ve seen
- You can answer some escalations from our experienced Technical Services Team
- You have a deep understanding in one or more Server components
*MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.*