Vice President of Engineering at Self Financial
Self Financial is a venture-backed, high-growth FinTech company with a mission to increase economic inclusion and financial resilience by empowering people to build credit and build savings.
We're looking for people who share our passion and are driven to tackle challenges, find solutions and make the financial space better for the communities we serve.
Our team is passionate about challenging the status quo of the credit industry by providing people accessible tools to take control of their credit. Executing on our mission requires deep collaboration across our teams to ensure our products reach the people who can benefit from them the most, particularly the 100 million+ Americans who have no or low credit.
About the Role:
You will continue to transform and drive engineering and operational excellence for the growth of the business at a growth trajectory while balancing the need to find efficiencies across the organization. A successful technical leader you lead through data and insights, obsess about customer outcomes in every decision, and lead by developing the trust and respect of teammates. As one of the most senior Engineering leaders at Self, you will shape how we continue to transform and drive technical, execution and leadership excellence.
What you’ll do:
- Hire, motivate, champion, retain and grow a world class team of individual contributors and leaders to own and run software development and deliver world class innovation for our customers.
- Influence technical vision working with senior architects in the team and deliver services and frameworks in the areas of ownership.
- Create strategies to balance short term requirements with long-range business plans and north star architectures.
- Drive multi-year projects to meet the strategic goals working with the stakeholders for resource planning and allocation and own the delivery - deliver bold vision in incremental steps
- Develop strong partnerships with peers across the entire organization and enable the same for the team to ensure impactful innovation aligned with the company initiatives.
- Collaborate and influence cross-functional teams, drive and align priorities in achieving business goals.
- Create, evangelize and influence the technical roadmap for use across the company.
- Thrive in ambiguity, take calculated bets and enable the team for the same to deliver impactful innovation
- Own and drive strategic planning and execution for the technology stack and engineering organization (monthly quarterly and annual cadences).
- Mentor and shape our engineering leadership team and organization, inspire pragmatic thinking within the team external transparency and communication of our innovation roadmap.
- Own and drive monthly operational reviews and release planning for the technology organization based on metrics driven data
- Establish and scale planning best practices as we grow both the engineering and supporting processes
- Operationalize roadmap inputs from internal and external sources into executable plans and tasks
- Develop a single source of truth for roadmaps and releases with our PM team
- Establish automated delivery reporting to keep stakeholders up-to-date.
- Set up feedback loops for continuous learning and make incremental improvements across the SDLC.
What you’ll have:
- Served as VP of Engineering and/or Chief Technology Officer of a B2B or B2C business that experienced substantial growth, managing at least 100 engineers
- Strong technical background with latest and emerging technologies
- Experience with data and data science technologies
- Created a high-performance, transparent environment focused on accountability and results, preferably managing several globally distributed teams
- Experience with scaled models; understands how the intersection of product, data, services and customer experience drives value
- Proven ability to deliver products that support a large scale of users (millions of UVs and customers), including familiarity with microservices and queues
- Comfortable with product lifecycle testing, embraces a build, measure, learn approach
- Experience building platforms
- An Engineering foundation by training; has the technical depth to quickly assess the effectiveness of system architectures and technology stack, development methodologies and tools to run an efficient software design and development organization.
- As a leader, excites and inspires value based performance with ethics, integrity and sound judgment
- Exec that embraces a roll-up-your-sleeves mentality, with pragmatism and bias for action
• Ideally this position is in Austin but can work remote
Benefits and Perks:
We have the compensation and benefits you expect. But, there's one thing that Self Financial can offer that many startups cannot: we can positively change the world, while making a profit. We are a team of Builders, empowering our customers to build their dreams. We have a Do the Right Thing ethos in all that we do, and we hope you value that approach, too.
Our perks include:
- Stock options
- Quarterly performance-based bonuses
- Generous employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance coverage
- Flexible vacation policy
- Educational assistance
- Free gym membership
- Free at-home workout through Sworkit
- Casual dress code
- Team building events and activities
- Remote work arrangements/ flexible work schedule
Self Financial requires all employees hired to successfully pass a background check.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This Privacy Notice is for applicants who reside in California. We adopt this notice to
comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) and other
California privacy laws. Any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning
when used in this notice.
Information We Collect
We collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of
being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a
particular consumer or device (“personal information”).
last twelve (12) months:
Identifiers. A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal
identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email
address, account name, Social Security number, driver's
license number, passport number, or other similar
Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code §
A name, signature, Social Security number, physical
characteristics or description, address, telephone number,
passport number, driver's license or state identification
card number, insurance policy number, education,
employment, employment history, bank account number,
credit card number, debit card number, or any other
financial information, medical information, or health
insurance information. Some personal information
included in this category may overlap with other
Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national
origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status,
medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex
(including gender, gender identity, gender expression,
pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions),
sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic
information (including familial genetic information).
Internet or other similar network
Browsing history, search history, information on a
consumer's interaction with a website, application, or
Professional or employment-
Current or past job history or performance evaluations.
Use of Personal Information
following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason for which the information is provided.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- As necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property or safety of us, our clients or others.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us is among the assets transferred.
- We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time.
When we make changes to this privacy notice, we will notify you.
If you have any questions or comments about this notice, please do not hesitate to