Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
Assistant Controller – Investor Financial Reporting
Reporting to the Head of Investor Financial Reporting, the Assistant Controller - Financial Reporting will be responsible for financial reporting for multiple investor funds. The position oversees a team of financial reporting managers and senior accountants.
- For a group of investor funds, manage the monthly financial reporting process, quarterly financial statements, annual financial statements and footnotes, and the year-end audits.
- Review work completed by the team to ensure accuracy and adherence to GAAP and the respective underlying fund agreements with our investors.
- Research technical accounting guidance and determine appropriate GAAP accounting treatment for new transactions and new accounting pronouncements, and review and draft technical accounting memos supporting our positions.
- Review financial statement analyses prepared by the managers and seniors with attention to key business drivers and trends.
- Review quality of accounting inputs for property valuations and coordinate fair market value accounting with the valuations team.
- Manage and develop the growth, productivity, efficiency, and happiness of the employees in our department.
- Document, implement and improve internal control processes and ensure controls are functioning correctly.
- Corroborate with team members outside of the Accounting department to ensure quality deliverables are provided to our investors.
- Research client questions regarding their investments and provide thorough and functional supporting documentation.
- Decision-making and independent judgment will be required on a day-to-day basis.
- BS in Accounting
- 8 years of accounting experience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Team player
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite of products
- Experience in real estate preferred
- Must have excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Evening/night/weekend work required from time to time.
- Deals with confidential information and/or issues using discretion and judgment.
- Big 4 or other Public Accounting experience preferred
- CPA preferred
- Proficiency with Yardi preferred
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. No travel is anticipated for this position
Our full-time employee benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO including 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 1 volunteer day
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Up to 16 weeks paid maternity leave; up to 4 weeks of paid parental leave
- Backup childcare offered through Bright Horizons
- Relaxed casual environment with virtual office events
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.