Assistant Corporate Controller
Amherst Holdings is a leading real estate investment and advisory firm that has made a significant investment into the single-family rental sector. The Amherst Single Family Equity Division or Amherst Residential has raised more than $6b of equity in various ownership vehicles that currently own and operate ~20,000 homes in 28 different markets across the United States.
Amherst Residential is seeking a self-motivated, autonomous, intellectual curious accounting professional to join the Accounting team as an Assistant Controller. This position is responsible in supporting the day-to-day management of the Company’s accounting operations, including the production of financial reports and analysis, record and review of journal entries, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls. The Assistant Controller reports to the Corporate Controller.
- Support the Corporate Controller in the Company’s overall month-end and quarter-end accounting close and financial reporting process.
- Manage the preparation of monthly and quarterly balance sheet account analysis including reconciliations, variance analyses and roll forwards.
- Prepare the Company’s monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Perform ad hoc research and analysis on any non-recurring transactions or technical accounting matters to determine appropriate accounting treatment and related financial statement disclosures
- Work closely with the Company’s external auditors during interim and year-end audits.
- Work closely with the Company’s tax preparers during tax season.
- Interact with the Company’s Property Manager accounting personnel.
- Assist in the management of accounting personnel, as a mentor and trainer to develop the team
- Assist in the completion of quarterly partner statements
- Assist with the design and implementation of the Accounting group’s process improvement initiatives.
- Support the Company’s implementation of technology and systems initiatives.
- Enforce the Accounting group’s policies and procedures.
- BA or higher degree in finance or accounting CPA license or equivalent experience required.
- 5 - 10 years in a management or supervisory role overseeing accounting personnel.
- Minimum 2 years of Big 4 or Public Audit/Accounting experience required.
- Strong understanding of GAAP and related Standards.
- Yardi experience preferred, not required.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- High level of integrity and dependability.
- Proven track record for driving process efficiencies.
- Superior analytical skills with the ability to manage large volumes of transactions and data.
- High level of Excel and spreadsheet skills.
- Strong initiative with excellent organization skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to think outside the box.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast paced and dynamic work environment with a strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to work overtime when required.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently and make sound decisions
What we offer:
Amherst is a privately held corporation located in West Austin with beautiful views of Lake Austin and the loop 360 bridge in a modern workspace with open floor plans.
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 11 paid holidays, accrued sick/personal time
- Employer paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- On-premise fitness center, locker rooms
- Daily catered lunches, fully stocked kitchen with snacks/drinks
- Relaxed casual environment and weekly/quarterly office events!