Role: Billing Manager
Location: Austin, TX
Reports To: Senior Manager, Financial Operations
Hippo is modernizing the $100B home insurance industry by putting customers at the center of everything we do, from the coverage we offer to the customer service we provide. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping people protect their homes to begin with by leveraging technology and data to help find small issues before they become big headaches. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers. Our CEO, Assaf Wand, views this company as an opportunity to care for one another like a family, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly).
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Little Hippos Program- We reimburse our team members up to $25k for adoption costs and up to $50k for infertility treatments. Plus, we offer 12 weeks parental leave for primary caregivers and 6 weeks for secondary caregivers.
- Hippo Meals & Snacks- We cater lunch in our office 3 times a week and we provide all the snacks & drinks our Hippos can handle daily.
- Hippo Habitat- Our beautiful, historic offices are located in downtown Austin at the corner of 6th & Congress.
About This Role
As Hippo experiences exponential growth, we remain focused on providing the best in class service to our customers. This role will be responsible for managing all billing processes, procedures and systems. You will be able to shape and mold the future state of the department as we’re looking for someone with the background to help us build and implement best practices along the way.
You have a long history in Property & Casualty insurance in a billing capacity. This is crucial to the success of this role. You also like to problem solve, create order and be a trusted advisor to the overall business. You’re able to communicate at all levels and thrive in a deadline driven environment.
- Supervise and manage all billing processes.
- Direct accurate processing, crediting and balancing of customer accounts and premium payments.
- Resolve complex billing issues including Department of Insurance complaints, customer inquiries, and operational issues from staff, managers, insureds and agents.
- Initiate and implement innovative logistics in billing functions.
- Assess purchase orders and vendor payments.
- Detect errors in billing processes and make appropriate corrections.
- Support other departments and personnel in billing processes.
- Maintain registration, batching and coding for billings.
- Assist and support audit teams in verifying bills and billing data.
- Implement quality billing practices and procedures.
- Develop and monitor the department budget to ensure accurate accounting of expenses charged to the Department. Report explanations for budget variances to upper management.
- Improve Department productivity and accuracy by developing monitoring tools for each position.
- At least 3 years of experience within a Property & Casualty Insurance company is required
- At least 7 years of experience in a related billing role is also required as well as prior management experience
- Self-motivated and directed; ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous and expected to succeed without heavy direction
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to help others solve problems
- Flexible and willing to do what is needed to get great work done
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced and dynamic
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.