Business Analyst & Venture Associate
Come work at Smarter Sorting!
Smarter Sorting is a purpose-driven company committed to increasing sustainable options for unsold or damaged products. Our cutting-edge machine learning technology enables cost-effective, compliant decisions for all unsold products, and our process advances our partners’ zero-waste goals.
As a collective group of machine learning experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, sustainability experts, and national account program managers, our passion for data-driven sustainability drives us toward a singular goal: to reduce waste through the salvation of unwanted items. Our goal is to take valuable products currently being driven hundreds of miles and burned and have them be used for their original purpose in local communities.
At Smarter Sorting: We do what it takes. We are driven to become experts. We are not jerks. We are real. We have grit. A healthy culture is key to our company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness. Our core values drive our culture and in turn, we achieve our vision.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people. Come join our team!
Now a pitch from our CEO, Chris Ripley:
Congratulations on reading this post! First off, you want this job. Why? Because it’s more than a job, it’s a fast track to entrepreneurial success. At its core, this role will have you interfacing with the world’s most prominent investors while you help me, the CEO, position the company for a $30M Series B round. In addition to making the best contacts money can’t buy in the venture funding world, time will be spent working with private equity firms like Warburg Pincus! The goal is to flesh out an acquisition strategy informed by related companies in the product information space.
Finally, you will work hand in hand with me, a seasoned CEO, to help make the most of my in-office days and in turn, I will show you the ropes and have you presenting to VC’s within your first 30 days.
At your core, you can analyze data: both numbers and stories. You can then take that analysis and convert those deep dives into presentations and spreadsheets that compel your audience to action.
You learned these skills and honed them as a consultant for firms like Deloitte or McKinsey or as an Analyst for JP Morgan or Goldman. You were there for no less than 2 years and likely closer to 3. Maybe the brand name you worked for was different but the output was the same.
You most likely have an MBA in Finance, Entrepreneurship, Economics or a similar field. If not an MBA, you have comparable experience in a professional environment. You are based in Austin, TX or are willing to relocate. You are excited and eager to dive right in and are willing to travel as needed.
A bit more about the job:
We are looking for someone that sees this as a required tour of duty prior to launching their own idea. Our ideal candidate wants to be able to own all features of venture funding concepts and realities. This person will be responsible for analysis presentations, funding & strategic partnerships and board discussions. This role is likely an 18-month position with options to stay on for the right candidate.
The less exciting stuff that you should still be excited to own:
You need to be able to help me with my schedule. Like, you need to be great at it. Having the time to interact with funders is not a haphazard last-minute endeavor. Time must be scheduled to prepare, you must be engaged in that preparation alongside me, and follow-up is a MUST. Additionally, some administrative tasks are necessary and a part of any start-up; you need to be the sort of person to lean into these tasks with a positive attitude. Some include email grooming, calendar maintenance, booking travel & lodging, etc.
What you’ll be doing on a day-to-day basis:
- Analyze past financial performance to predict future performance and advise the CEO on the company’s financial strategy
- Gather, compile, and analyze data to identify trends and patterns, then make recommendations for business actions
- Facilitate assigned projects by serving as a liaison between the CEO and venture capitalists, documenting and communicating goals, and evaluating and refining results
- Create decks, slideshows, and models for CEO and venture capitalists
- Create financial models based on analyses to support organizational decision making
- Develop financial plans and reports for organizational leaders and key stakeholders
- Evaluate capital expenditures and depreciation
- Develop automated reporting and forecasting tools for more efficient use of data
- Gather business intelligence from a variety of sources including company data, industry and field reports, public information, or purchased sources
- Assess market strategies by analyzing related products, markets, or trendsUse business intelligence data and tools to identify and monitor current and potential customers
- Compile business intelligence or trends to support actionable recommendations
- Maintain current knowledge of industry and business trends through communication with professional organizations, suppliers, customers, competitors, and other informed individuals
- Summarize financial and economic data reports for review by executives, managers, clients, and stakeholders
- Produce reports, timelines, and graphics to communicate expectations and progress to management, customers, investors, and other relevant parties
- Maintain current understanding of industry standards, trends, and best practices through industry and other professional networks
- Scheduling meetings, setting agendas, tracking key action items, and coordinating travel as needed
Your experience + skills:
- MBA in Finance, Entrepreneurship, Economics or a similar field preferred
- 3+ years of relevant financial and/or business analysis required
- Experience in creating and presenting on Google Slides and Powerpoint
- Thorough understanding of systems analysis methods and the principles, design, and techniques used in big data analysis
- Thorough understanding of project management and administrative support
- Ideally, have analysis experience in technology and/or chemistry-based industries
- Extremely organized with great attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite or related software
- Ability to collect and compile relevant data
- Excellent ability to analyze information and think systematically
- Strong business and financial analysis skills
- Thorough understanding of the company’s business processes and the industry at large
- Data savvy: a deep understanding of technology-driven business intelligence tools
Your Benefits & Perks
Smarter Sorting offers:
-Competitive Compensation Packages
-Medical, dental & vision insurance
-Short-term disability insurance
-Continuing Education & Lunch N Learns
-Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
-Snacks, drinks, lunches, and dinners
Read Full Job Description