Chief Housing Economist – Austin, TX
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 1,000 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. In 2019, Bungalo sold its 250th home, and Amherst managed 25,000th home. To learn more, please visit www.amherst.com.
Amherst is a real estate private equity firm with multiple equity and debt strategies. Holistically, Amherst currently has AUM of $5.8bn across our debt and equity strategies. Amherst Holdings real estate private equity business was established in 2012 after multiple decades in the residential mortgage securities investment banking business. Amherst’s private equity business has grown from 34 employees in 2012 to 1000+ today. Amherst continues to grow rapidly to capitalize on increasing industry opportunities.
Our Single Family Residential Equity strategy (Amherst Residential) has quickly scaled over the last 5 years to own and operate 20,000+ homes in 30 markets across 21 states while building a vertically integrated real estate investment and operating platform. Across the SFR strategy, Amherst has raised almost $2.5bn in equity and arranged approximately $5.7bn in debt financing over the last five years and is currently investing more than $150mm a month in single family real estate assets.
The Commercial Real Estate Lending strategy combines a veteran debt team with unique pricing analytics to source, underwrite, structure and asset manage loans backing all types of CRE assets across the US.
Amherst is seeking a highly motivated and seasoned professional with significant real estate experience to be the Chief Economist for our residential and commercial real estate businesses. This position is critical in enabling Amherst to pursue and meet its aggressive growth plans and strategic objectives. Building on Amherst’s strong quantitative analytics platform through the addition of more local and practical housing economics will significantly enhance the evaluation of existing/new markets and types of homes while also managing and mitigating risk. Success in this position requires demonstrated experience in a wide range of statistical and economic research on local market dynamics, home-building regulation and housing policy. Research topics include construction labor, environmental & zoning regulation and other changes that affect housing development.
Based in Austin the Chief Economist will report into the Head of Research and Analytics. Over time we expect the remit will expand into a small team with additional economists that bring region or city expertise.
Lead the effort to analyze existing and new markets for single family/multi-family portfolio expansion into new markets. The Chief Housing economist will manage the following functions:
- Local market housing research: Track, surveil and analyze local market trends to better inform both the residential and commercial real estate investment strategies. Help identify areas and types of homes that are likely to outperform based on demographic, economic, RE project announcements, big corporate expansions / moves / layoffs and other local drivers. Provide support for market strategy for internal acquisition channels as well as designing portfolios for different external mandates.
- Impact of federal and local government policies: Conduct economic research on housing policies and monitor developments in housing and real estate policies. Analyze local market trends for changes in zoning, building, labor regulation and other things that can materially affect housing.
- Earned media/branding: Publish regular market commentaries on interesting real estate topics, present at conferences and help enhance the media/branding effort through content generation.
- PhD in economics or related field
- Proven track record as a housing economist or similar role with 10+ Years of experience
- Self-motivated, results oriented and exhibits urgency in taking action
- The ability to think strategically and act quickly will be critical to success
- Absolute integrity
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively across organizational levels, and externally including with the media
- A team player who leads by example and has built high performing teams.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and make quick data based decisions.
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin,