Claims Litigation Manager at Hippo Insurance
Role: Claims Litigation Manager
Location: Austin, Texas
Reports to: VP of Claims
Hippo is modernizing the $100B home insurance industry by putting customers at the center of everything we do, from the coverage we offer to the customer service we provide. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping people protect their homes to begin with by leveraging technology and data to help find small issues before they become big headaches. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers. Our CEO, Assaf Wand, views this company as an opportunity to care for one another like a family, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% employer-paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly).
- Flexible Paid Time Off - Time off to care for yourself and your family to rest and recharge.
- Little Hippos Program- We reimburse our team members up to $25k for adoption costs and up to $50k for infertility treatments. Plus, we offer 12 weeks of parental leave for primary caregivers and 8 weeks for secondary caregivers.
- Hippo Meals & Snacks- We cater lunch in our office 3 times a week and we provide all the snacks & drinks our Hippos can handle daily.
- Hippo Habitat- Our beautiful, historic offices are located in downtown Austin at the corner of 6th & Congress.
About This Role
We are searching for an outstanding Claims Litigation Manager to join our team. This person will be responsible for building this department from the ground up. This Claims Litigation Manager will be focused on managing defense counsel efforts to defend the insured and the company.
You’re self-motivated, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and love working with a close-knit group. Ideally, you’ll have excellent communication skills, legal knowledge claims knowledge, data gathering, and comfort in handling complex assignments with creative problem-solving ability. Also, because this role requires some building you’ll need to be excellent at strategic planning and execution.
- Monitoring timeliness of defense activity, cost assessment, venue knowledge. Very strong understanding of legal processes in the various states we operate.
- Establish a strong understanding of the homeowner’s policies and how it applies to claims operations.
- Development of litigation guidelines, nationwide defense network, and best practices.
- Creation of a sustainable litigation department for the company.
- At least 10 years of experience in managing both 3rd and 1st party lawsuits including allegations of bad faith and DTPA.
- Experience in managing defense counsel efforts to defend the insured and the company.
- 3-5 years experience managing personnel responsible for handling litigated files.
- Strong project management experience
- A minor amount of travel necessary.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.