Controller at Compeat
Compeat is a fast paced, high growth software company with headquarters in Austin, TX that is looking for a high energy, experienced Controller. Reporting to the CFO, the Controller will be responsible for the company’s accounting practices, the maintenance of its fiscal records, and the preparation of financial reports. This position will oversee the timely monthly close of the General Ledger, consolidation and reporting of financial results, coordination of audits, and the development of and compliance to internal controls. Additionally, this position includes responsibility for all daily activities for and development of a team of employees.
- Maintaining the company's overall system of accounts, books and records on all company transactions and assets.
- Collaborating, supporting and working to achieve the objectives of Compeat while proposing the most effective digital technologies to improve the team’s efficiency.
- Acting proactively and thinking strategically, in anticipation of needs, and recognizing the wider business environment and dynamics to ensure the Accounting team is adding value to the organization’s goals.
- Directing the daily activities and the career development of team members, including hiring, coaching, reviewing work, establishing goals and performance management of team members as required.
- Managing the company’s daily cash flow.
- Assisting with formulating the financial objectives and policies of the company and then prepare reports that outline the company's progress towards those objectives and financial position in terms of income, expenses, and earnings based on past, present, and future operations.
- Reviewing and documenting significant variances from budget and forecast.
- Identifying potential risk areas for the business.
- Ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable taxes and regulations.
- Ensuring accurate & timely financials are in compliance with US GAAP standards with adherence to the closing calendar. Identifies any areas of concern in financials for investigation & resolves.
- Ensuring financial accounts are properly supported and reconciled.
- Reviewing and ensuring timely completion of internal financials, bank financials and board packages.
- Responsible for establishing and ensuring compliance to internal controls.
- Reviewing and ensures accurate and timely computation and payment of payroll, commissions, and expenses.
- Full coordination of audit and the gathering of required audit information, preparation of financial statements & footnotes, and preparation of tax accounts.
- Interfacing with banks, casualty/liability insurance agent(s) and credit card companies.
- Managing the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, customer credits and collections, payroll, fixed asset records, general & entity accounting, etc.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Strong and broad experience in accounting and ability to apply strong GAAP knowledge to business scenarios.
- BS or BA in Accounting, CPA and/or a MBA is a plus.
- 10 plus years of experience which will include a leadership position, SaaS experience strongly preferred.
- 3+ years in software revenue recognition experience required, SaaS/subscription software revenue recognition a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage billings and collections cycle
- A high level of initiative and drive, natural sense of ownership for projects and duties.
- Communication skills for credibility at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and work independently or in a team environment as situation necessitates.
- Strong technical and computer skills (particularly NetSuite, SalesForce.com and Microsoft Office), including working with integrations between systems
- Informal leadership qualities with ability to drive change effectively across functional areas.
- Public accounting experience with experience supervising of an audit a plus.
- Minimal, or no travel required.