Controller at Self Financial
Self Financial, Inc. helps consumers establish and build credit history. We are a venture-backed, financial services startup based in Austin, TX. At Self, our mission is to help millions of people build credit and save money on their journey toward financial security.
There are about 100 million people in the US who have low credit scores or who have no access to credit at all. Sadly, there aren’t many options for these people. Most banks aren’t doing anything material to change the situation because it’s not profitable for them to do so. Bad credit or no credit history can be barriers to renting an apartment or getting certain jobs, let alone buying a car or house. And if you can get a loan with a low credit score, you’re very likely to pay a lot more in interest over the life of that loan.
Our team is passionate about challenging the status quo of the credit industry by giving people accessible and affordable tools to take control of their credit. Executing on our mission requires deep collaboration across our teams to ensure our products reach the people who can most benefit from them.
We're looking for people who share a passion for our mission and relate to why we do what we do. At Self, we want to work with people who are driven to tackle challenges, bring unique perspectives, find solutions and help make the financial space a better place for our consumers. We recognize that it takes different people and personalities to make our products – and our company – truly great. We only seek the best.
If you are someone who is equally passionate as we are, we want to chat with you.
About the role:
This is an opportunity to join one of the fastest growing and most exciting FinTech companies in Austin. We’re looking for an experienced, hands-on Controller who can help improve financial processes, reporting and controls. This role will interact heavily with Finance, Operations and Marketing teams. This role is based in Austin, TX and will report to the Head of Finance.
- Manage day-to-day accounting operations, overseeing all transactions related to general ledger, receivables, payables, and payroll
- Coordinate and execute all aspects of the month-end close process
- Develop and maintain accounting policies, processes and systems, including general ledger and financial reporting, ensuring all records are maintained in accordance with GAAP
- Prepare and review monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports
- Support monthly, quarterly and annual budget and forecast preparation
- Perform financial performance variance analysis, present findings, monitor and evaluate the company's financial effectiveness
- Analyze and make recommendations regarding the company's financial position with respect to revenue, expenses, profit, cash, budget and forecasting
- Participate in cross functional operational decisions, providing analysis, input and recommendations regarding business and financial impacts of decision paths
- Oversee preparation of tax schedules and returns
- Coordinate and manage annual audit process
- Adhere to reporting requirements of lenders and investors
- 8+ years progressive accounting experience required
- CPA required
- Big Four accounting experience a plus
- Experience working in FinTech, technology, financial services or start-ups preferred
- Proficiency in QuickBooks and Excel required
- Experience with other accounting and ERP systems a plus
- Entrepreneurial attitude and problem solving / results-oriented approach to challenges
- Highly detail-oriented
- Ability to manage day-to-day financial and operational initiatives, as well as analyze business from a strategic level
- Excellent interpersonal skills and great team-oriented attitude
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Other accounting and ERP systems preferred
Our compensation and benefits are competitive, but there's one thing that Self Financial can offer that many startups cannot: we can positively change the world, while making a profit. Over 64 million adults in the U.S. do not have a credit score due to a lack of credit history. Self is solving this problem with innovative technology and partnerships.
Our perks include:
- Competitive Pay
- Stock options
- Generous employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance coverage
- Enjoy our vacation policy – there is no policy, balance matters
- Educational assistance
- Free gym membership
- Plenty of snacks and drinks provided
- Casual dress code
- Catered company lunches on Mondays and Wednesdays
- Team happy hours and events
- Downtown Austin office space
How we act with each other is how we act with our customers. We are direct, transparent and respectful, and we hope you embrace that approach.
Self Financial requires all employees hired to successfully pass a background check.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.