We're seeking a Director-level Head of Accounting to establish and lead all aspects of our accounting, audit, tax, payroll and financial compliance. This role will be a hands-on subject matter expert who can provide leadership and vision for scaling our financial infrastructure to keep up with the demands of Homeward’s high-growth business.
We give homeowners the freedom to buy the home they want before selling their current one. Customers tell us about their home and financial situation, then we provide them with funds to confidently secure their next home with a competitive all-cash offer. This saves them stress from having to list their house without knowing where they're going next, and makes the process of buying and selling a home as predictable and easy as it should be.
Homeward was started in 2018 by Tim Heyl, a 10-year industry veteran and owner of one of the fastest growing agent teams in the U.S. We're passionate about our mission to empower customers and their agent partners to buy before they sell while making the entire experience more convenient and certain. We've attracted a strong early customer base in Texas, Colorado, and Georgia, and are building our team to help us deliver our unique solution, and continue evolving our business.
Homeward is backed by top-tier venture investors - Adams Street, Javelin, and LiveOak. We’ve raised over $25 million in equity to grow the business, and have secured over $100 million in debt to buy homes for our customers. Our leadership team includes experts from the real estate, mortgage, and technology spaces.
We don’t prioritize money or growth over people. In our customer and internal interactions we apply the golden rule: treat others how we want to be treated. We’re building our customer experience and company culture with this as the guiding principle.
Calm and Focused
We don’t chase every opportunity and rush from urgent task to urgent task. We relax, stay calm, and focus on our company-wide objectives. If something is out of scope, we say “no”. If something feels rushed we slow down and think it through so we can avoid unnecessary rework later. We don’t bombard each other with notifications expecting instant response times. We block off time for deep work so we can get into the flow and create solutions our customers love. Multi-tasking isn’t effective nor enjoyable.
Cross Functional Collaboration
We look at our customers’ experience wholistically and recognize that improving it requires support from multiple functions. Given this, we’re excellent collaborators with a bias towards analytical rigor coupled with rapid, iterative problem-solving. No function is more important than another and we’re eager to work as a team to solve our customers’ toughest problems. We value strong internal alignment, and take pride in understanding and considering our teammates' perspectives before expressing our own.In this role, you will:
- Develop and manage all accounting operations and systems including A/R, A/P, payroll, tax, GL, revenue recognition, and bank reconciliations
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance, document and maintain financial controls and processes, and ensure that effective internal controls are in place and comply with GAAP and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting
- Own the financial close process and all associated processes and reporting to deliver timely and accurate financial statements
- Oversee the preparation and review of legal entity level financial reporting, including governance over the statutory reporting process and related audits
- Develop tools/systems to ensure the integrity of the company's financial information, and continuously find ways to drive efficiency and automation.
- Be the primary liaison interfacing with outside audit and tax firm(s), facilitate periodic tax compliance reporting, and manage the annual audit process
- Collaborate on Treasury operations, including cash management and reporting
- Work closely with other department leaders to increase transparency on business performance and support cost control
What you’ll bring:
- You have CPA, Big 4 Accounting Experience, with 7+ years of experience, ideally within the financial lending services or real estate space
- You have thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures with proven track record in Accounting management of top line revenues from multiple revenue models that included deferred revenue needing knowledge of revenue recognition, per GAAP
- You have hands-on experience with GL and month-end/year-end closing procedures, and in leveraging industry standard ERP systems and RPA to scale and automate
- You are willing to come in as an individual contributor, roll-up sleeves and do day-to-day early on, in creating and modeling financial statements
- You have excellent business acumen and decision-making skills, and outstanding financial modeling, spreadsheet skills, with the ability to access data in SQL database
- You have demonstrated ability to patiently and efficiently perform in a fast-paced environment and handle and manage multiple workloads, priorities and deadlines
- You foster a growth and innovation mindset and work to build a strong team in an ever-changing environment
- You have proven ability to establish and maintain productive working relationships and influence at all levels of the organization
- You have solid written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate technical issues to non-technical people