Operations FP&A Leader at Invitae
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making clinical-grade genetic information affordable and accessible to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
About the Role
This is a newly created position in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. Reporting to the Head of FP&A, this role is responsible for building a business partnership with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and the Operations leadership team to provide value-added financial and decision support for Lab & Manufacturing Operations, Production Engineering, Supply Chain, Logistics & Facilities, Billing & Reimbursement, and Quality management. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing reporting and analysis on all aspects of the operations team including traditional finance metrics and variance analysis, and also providing in-depth analysis and thought partnership to guide the strategic direction and scaling of the business. This is a highly visible role in the company and a key position in the Finance team.
Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, system thinkers, action driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, can thrive in a fast-paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, and exceptional in communicating with all levels within the organization.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Deliver monthly production cost, volume, and inventory analysis. Collaborate closely with Corporate FP&A to ensure operations planning and forecasting activities align to the overall corporate timing and assumptions
- Develop a deep understanding of the business goals/objectives, to understand the root causes of variances and provide insightful, fact-based data analysis and scenario modeling to drive strategic and growth initiatives and influence business decisions of business leaders
- Develop analytical framework for variable and fixed cost productivity. Work closely with the COO to drive cost saving initiatives
- Integrate Finance with the Operations team creating a seamless connection between operational planning and rolling financial planning
- Lead Operations financial reviews with senior business and finance leaders. Deliver quantitative and qualitative insights, Identify improvement opportunities, and advise action plans based on financial insight
- Proactively partner and engage with key stakeholders and cross-functional partners to drive improved insight into the business, by refining or developing new KPI’s or scorecards that drive organizational accountability and performance
- Lead capital expenditure planning and equipment financing programs
- Support the finance cadence of the business for quarterly business reviews, monthly reporting, forecasts and the planning cycle in alignment with Corporate FP&A timelines by communicating required deliverables clearly and facilitating reviews with senior leaders in a timely manner
- Help drive finance operations by actively seeking opportunities to simplify reporting and enhance delivery methods. Improve efficiency and effectiveness of finance activities
- Participate and support system implementations and upgrades, as needed
- Mentor and coach analyst
- Proven track record in leading FP&A and Operations Finance activities in a fast growing, dynamic environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting or other technical degree
- Minimum of 10+ years of Finance & Accounting experience in manufacturing/operations, with solid experience in cost accounting and margin analysis
- Outstanding financial modeling skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both strategically and at a detailed operational level
- A learner. Can quickly grasp new ideas and organize complex information. Curious, self-starter who consistently takes the initiative to address questions and build new processes/structures
- 12+ years of experience in Finance, with a MBA, CMA or CPA
- Experience in Life Sciences or technology-based industry
- Knowledge of ERP, FP&A planning systems, Business Intelligence, and/or data query languages
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.