Payroll Accountant at Self Financial
Self Financial, Inc. helps consumers establish and build a credit history. We are a venture-backed, financial services startup based in Austin, TX. At Self, our mission is to help millions of people build credit and save money on their journey toward financial security.
There are about 100 million people in the US who have low credit scores or who have no access to credit at all. Sadly, there aren’t many options for these people. Most banks aren’t doing anything material to change the situation because it’s not profitable for them to do so. Bad credit or no credit history can be barriers to renting an apartment or getting certain jobs, let alone buying a car or house. And if you can get a loan with a low credit score, you’re very likely to pay a lot more in interest over the life of that loan.
Our team is passionate about challenging the status quo of the credit industry by giving people accessible and affordable tools to take control of their credit. Executing on our mission requires deep collaboration across our teams to ensure our products reach the people who can most benefit from them.
We're looking for people who share a passion for our mission and relate to why we do what we do. At Self, we want to work with people who are driven to tackle challenges, bring unique perspectives, find solutions, and help make the financial space a better place for our consumers. We recognize that it takes different people and personalities to make our products – and our company – truly great. We only seek the best.
If you are someone who is equally passionate as we are, we want to chat with you.
The Payroll Accountant will report to the Assistant Controller and is primarily responsible for all aspects of payroll, from processing runs to recording and reconciliation in the general ledger. The Payroll Accountant will be the primary liaison with HR and will also field questions from employees regarding payroll. Additionally, the payroll accountant will assist with Accounts Payable processing and other accounting duties as assigned.
- Timely processing of Semi-monthly payrolls
- Coordination with HR on all payroll related items
- Registrations in new states as hiring require
- Managing timely filing of payroll tax returns
- Recording and reconciliations of payroll/benefits related items in the general ledger
- Timely and accurate processing of accounts payable invoices and payments
- Other accounting reconciliations and journal entries as assigned.
- Minimum of 2 years of payroll processing experience in a multistate corporation using an outsourced payroll vendor.
- Minimum of 2 years accounts payable processing experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- Understanding of GL structure and accounting control requirements
- Willingness to follow process without exceptions in a highly confidential manner
- Attention to detail and exceptional time management
- Knowledge of Namely, Quickbooks Online and Bill.com huge plus
Our compensation and benefits are competitive, but there's one thing that Self Financial can offer that many startups cannot: we can positively change the world, while making a profit. Over 64 million adults in the U.S. do not have a credit score due to a lack of credit history. Self is solving this problem with innovative technology and partnerships.
Our perks include:
- Competitive Pay
- Quarterly bonuses
- Stock options
- Generous employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance coverage
- Enjoy our vacation policy – there is no policy, balance matters
- Educational assistance
- Free gym membership
- Remote work arrangements/ Flexible work schedule (due to the pandemic)
Our downtown office is open for those who want to take advantage of working onsite.
How we act with each other is how we act with our customers. We are direct, transparent and respectful, and we hope you embrace that approach.
Self Financial requires all employees hired to successfully pass a background check.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.