“Making Healthcare Right. Together.” is the cornerstone of all we do. Our vision is through powerful relationships with Care Partners, we help all people live healthy and brighter lives. To successfully achieve our mission and vision as we operate in a dynamic health care environment, we expect Bright employees to embody and uphold our core values in work and interactions, both internal and external: be brave, be brilliant, be accountable, be inclusive, and be collaborative.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Senior Financial Underwriter job description is intended to point our major responsibilities within the role, but not limited to these items related to Group-Employer line of Business. The employee in this role will be required to ensure the integrity of financial and medical underwriting activities and processes which impact the profitability of the carriers and promote the success of the overall risk management company. The employee will be responsible for small group and large group stop loss health insurance and risk management business. The underwriter will be responsible for personal production and will oversee underwriting and compliance for a client’s block of business. The underwriter is expected to increase the technical knowledge of the junior underwriting staff along with performing quality audit review, training and client relationship building. The underwriting will represent the underwriting function in customer meetings and client/broker interactions when necessary
- Strong knowledge of underwriting discipline
- Underwrite and develop a block of profitable health insurance business
- Record of sound financial and medical decision making
- Healthcare and product knowledge
- Ability to take and manage risk
- Ability to self-analyze work and look for ways to improve his/her own daily work processes, creative problem solving used in daily work, flexible and willing to adjust to changes in work environment and respond positively to change.
- Ability to handle difficult situations diplomatically
- Observe and analyze underwriting results and initiate required action with appropriate parties
- Work cooperatively with assigned staff to ensure consistent and efficient workflow and guidelines
- Ability to effectively communicate and build a strong working relationship with employees of Bright Health
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Four-year degree in finance, business or healthcare related field or equivalent work experience required
- Five (5) years health underwriting required and/or equivalent industry experience in risk management
- Stop loss underwriting and large group experience rating with extensive caseload management preferred
- LOMA and/or other pertinent A & H industry coursework required
- Medical terminology and Advanced Medical Terminology are required with continuing annual medical education and insurance continuing education
- Ability to listen to customers, business partners to ensure profitable and market leading UW outcomes
- Ability to make quick, informed and sensible decisions without being wrongly influenced by outside business partners
- Ability to negotiate and resolve conflicts quickly and effectively
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize
- High degree of professional and ethical integrity
- Analytically minded with the ability to investigate and solve problems that may arise
- Energetic and passionate with regards to work and personal development
- Ability to hold articulate and confident conversations
- Work closely with operations and clinical teams to ensure the appropriate use of products
- Maintain a strong relationship with actuarial teams to ensure the effectiveness of pricing strategies
- Have strong Fundamental risk analysis skills
- Investigate any non-compliance of benefit adjudication with appropriate managers to ensure compliance
- Provide accurately and timely UW metrics to the Underwriter Manager when needed
- Ability to make effective decisions within their UW authority based on strong knowledge of financial implications
At Bright Health, we brought together the brightest minds from the health care industry and consumer technology, and together we created Bright Health: a new, brighter approach to healthcare, built for individuals. Our plans are easy to manage, personalized, and more affordable, giving people the quality care they deserve. Through our exclusive care partnerships with leading health systems in local communities, we are reshaping how people and physicians achieve better health together.
We’re Making Healthcare Right. Together.
We've won some fun awards like Modern Healthcare and Forbes, etc. But more than anything, we're a group of people who are really dedicated to our mission in healthcare. Come join our team!
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome and employ a diverse employee group committed to meeting the needs of Bright Health, our consumers, and the communities we serve. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.