Senior Manager, Accounting at Homeward (Remote)
Buying a home should be an exciting milestone. But all too often, it’s stressful, especially in a competitive market or when you’re buying and selling at the same time. So we’re redesigning the homebuying experience. We’re a fast-paced real estate startup that empowers agents to help homebuyers buy with cash. We buy homes on behalf of our partners’ clients with our cash, then the client buys the home back from us.
Founder and CEO Tim Heyl, a 10-year industry veteran and owner of one of the fastest-growing agent teams in the country, started Homeward in 2018. In fact, he bought our first customer’s home with his own life savings. Today we offer two services — Buy with cash and Buy before you sell.
We’ve raised more than $160MM in equity capital from top-tier venture investors, including Norwest, Blackstone Alternative Asset Management, Adams Street, Javelin, and LiveOak. Our leadership team includes experts from the real estate, mortgage, and technology industries.
About the opportunity
Homeward is looking for a Senior Manager, Accounting, to support the Head of Accounting in establishing and managing the Company’s accounting for mortgage banking and real estate transactions. Reporting directly to the Head of Accounting, this role will be a hands-on, solution-oriented problem solver who can provide leadership and vision for scaling our financial infrastructure to keep up with the demands of Homeward’s high-growth business.
This role is not eligible to be performed from Colorado. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.In this role you will:
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance in the areas of mortgage banking, accounting, and real estate transaction accounting. Own the documentation of the Company’s accounting policy narratives
- Over the next 1-2 years, assist in all accounting aspects of building the Company’s accounting operations to be able to potentially go public. This includes working with the Head of Accounting and Assistant Controller to 1) decrease financial reporting close timing through identifying and solving current bottlenecks in the process and using automation to reduce cycle times, 2) increase the robustness of internal controls, 3) increase the robustness of financial reporting and disclosures in order to comply with SEC / PCAOB requirements, 4) own drafting the Company’s S-1 and other SEC filings.
- Be a part of the task force that builds out documents, and maintains financial and operational controls and processes and ensure that effective internal controls are in place and comply with GAAP and PCAOB requirements
- Manage certain aspects of the financial close process and all associated processes and financial reporting to deliver timely and accurate financial statements. Areas of responsibility mainly include mortgage banking and real estate transactions.
- Assist in developing tools/systems to ensure the integrity of the company's financial information, and continuously find ways to drive efficiency and automation
- Assist in certain aspects of supporting the annual audit process
- Collaborate on Treasury operations, including cash management and reporting
- Manage several Accounting Staff team members, including helping with day-to-day issues management and resolution
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting (Master’s degree preferred).
- You have CPA and Big 4 Accounting Experience (minimum Manager level at Big 4), with 5-8 years of experience, within the mortgage banking and real estate industries.
- You have thorough knowledge of accounting policies, principles, and procedures with a proven track record in accounting management. Strong technical accounting knowledge is critical.
- You have experience with SEC reporting forms and requirements.
- You have experience with SEC financial reporting presentation and disclosure requirements.
- You have a technological mindset and are able to find ways to use RPA to scale and automate.
- You are willing to come in as an individual contributor, roll-up your sleeves and do day-to-day early on, helping with creating and refining robust processes and procedures that the Accounting team will implement as the Company continues to scale.
- You have excellent business acumen and decision-making skills, and outstanding financial modeling, spreadsheet skills.
- You have demonstrated the ability to patiently and efficiently perform in a fast-paced environment and handle and manage multiple workloads, priorities and deadlines, while maintaining a great attitude during tight deadlines.
- You must have a solution-oriented approach to solving problems, preferring to place focus on the best way to solve problems rather than focusing only on the problems themselves.
- You foster a growth and innovation mindset and work to build a strong team in an ever-changing environment.
- You have solid written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate technical issues to non-technical people.
- Experience with mortgage banking accounting is required.
- Experience with property management and real estate is required.
- Experience with Netsuite is strongly preferred, but not required.
THE GOLDEN RULE
Whether we’re dealing with colleagues or customers, we follow The Golden Rule, treating others the way we want to be treated. It’s a simple rule, but it’s also significant: we don’t prioritize money or growth over people, and we practice empathy at every opportunity.
We work in tech and build solutions for real estate. Both are fast-paced and stressful industries. So it’s important that we focus on the larger objective rather than rushing from one task to the next. If something is out of scope, we say “No.” If something feels rushed, we pump the brakes. This calm focus helps us create solutions our customers love.
ONE TEAM, ONE DREAM
Big problems require big solutions. We look at our customers’ experience holistically, and recognize that solving them requires collaboration across teams. This approach extends to cooperation among our three affiliate companies — Homeward, Homeward Mortgage and Homeward Title — and produces a more integrated homebuying experience.