Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The SVP of FP&A will lead an existing team of seven with the opportunity to recruit and train an additional more members based on company growth. The individual will work close with the existing accounting, technology, capital markets, corporate and operations teams.
A successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Managing a team responsible for all facets of the FP&A process, including the preparation of complex financial models (capital planning and budgeting), monthly financial analysis of results, debt and equity requirements to support company growth and short-term liquidity management.
- Supervising and training assigned personnel to ensure a high performing, self-motivated team
- Working with division leaders and senior management to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Company's budget and forecasting processes
- Leading the development of the annual operating budget, long-term strategic plans as well as monthly and quarterly models and forecasts. Collaborating with Asset Management to develop and deliver annual operating budgets to each of the Company’s joint venture partners.
- Developing presentations that communicate the Company's financial goals, operating results, historical trends, etc. to the Company's Board and senior management team
- Reviewing financial and operating results with division management to ensure the Company and business units meet or exceed financial targets
- Analyzing trends in key performance indicators and performance vs peer/industry benchmarks, identifying and communicating key business risks and opportunities
- Improving the use of the existing budget and reporting platform to streamline how the company plans and receives monthly operating updates
- Limited travel to new and existing joint venture partners to present proposed models and budgets
- Bachelors in Accounting or Finance
- MBA and/or CPA desired but not required
- 10 years of progressive accounting experience plus 5-7 years of experience in financial planning and analysis is required
- Real estate industry experience required, public preferred
- Demonstrate clear proficiency in US GAAP
- Strong communicator who can easily transition between Board of Directors, Equity Holders, Joint Venture Partners and team members to clearly articulate budgets, assumptions and opportunities for growth
- Proven leader and team manager who can help prioritize multiple assignments and deliver accurate and timely analysis and budgets
- Demonstrated experience at building new and modifying existing budget models to accommodate new business lines, funding strategies and dynamic growth expectations
- Experience with Yardi helpful as is experience with budgeting software like Adaptive or Oracle Hyperion
- Robust interpersonal skills, work with little supervision and attention to detail. A self-starter who can motivate a team without specific guidelines or instructions
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize assignments, deal with interruptions, and meet deadlines in a fast paced and growth oriented environment
- Highly proficient in MS office applications: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook.
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 8 paid holidays
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Relaxed casual environment and weekly/quarterly office events!
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.
Read Full Job Description