Tax Manager at LegalZoom
Come join LegalZoom as a Tax Manager! LegalZoom is building the next frontier of services for our customers: business tax advisory and preparation. In this role, you’ll manage a team of tax experts who work to serve our small business customers by providing tailored advice on tax-related issues, helping them navigate business tax planning, and filing business taxes on their behalf.
This role is an exciting opportunity in people management for a CPA with a passion for working with small and medium-sized business customers and empowering them to succeed in a dynamic new part of the LegalZoom team. You’ll be expected to ensure a team of tax experts delivers a high-quality tax experience, help us build systems and tools to serve our SMB business customers, and build a team culture that is positive, engaging, and rewarding.
Role responsibilities include:
- Manage a team of 10-15 tax professionals, including workflow management and team coordination, team product quality oversight, team productivity, performance, and creation of a positive and engaging team culture
- Ensure Tax Advisors are fully informed of and trained on all new products, procedures, customer needs, and company-related issues, changes, or actions; as well as all tax law changes.
- Interact with clients digitally (video conference and over the phone) to provide tax advisory and support – understanding tax obligations, helping with tax planning, helping businesses track and maximize deductions, etc.
- Provide delightful, high-quality customer service while utilizing company practices and procedures to answer routine tax questions and documenting interactions with clients
- Demonstrates knowledge of automation & digitization in a professional services environment including but not limited to:
- Innovating through new and existing technologies, along with experimenting with digitization solutions;
- Working with large, complex data sets to build models and leverage data visualization tools to provide insights to clients; and,
- Utilizing digitization tools to reduce hours and optimize engagements.
The ideal candidate will come will also have a passion for:
- Interpreting complex legislative and regulatory actions relating to corporate and partnership transactions, assisting clients with regulatory and legislative initiatives, and preparing for client review submission requests for private letter rulings and technical advice from the IRS; and,
- Strategy formulation and financial modeling e.g. performing financial analyses to assess the tax consequences of specific transactions.
- Applying and interpreting U.S. federal income tax law as it relates to tax due diligence exercises
- Identifying and addressing client needs by building, maintaining, and utilizing networks of client relationships and community involvement; communicating value propositions; managing resource requirements, project workflow, budgets, billing and collections; and preparing and/or coordinating complex written and verbal materials; and leading teams: supervising teams to create an atmosphere of trust; seeking diverse views to encourage improvement and innovation; and coaching staff including providing timely meaningful written and verbal feedback
- Demonstrates success as tax technical business advisor, including developing new relationships, making introductions to sell new services, and doing so with a unified service mindset. Preferred familiarity with a CRM system
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Taxation with a CPA designation
- 5-7 years of experience in tax preparation and tax advisory, with working knowledge of federal and state tax compliance
- Experience in managing teams, budgeting projects, and leading diverse individuals toward a common goal
- Experience using tax software such as Lacerte or ProConnect and bookkeeping software (Quickbooks Online preferred)
- Exceptional level of attention to detail and accountability to high-quality tax preparation standards
- Obsession for serving customers and working on a team with other like-minded tax experts, especially in a dynamic and evolving work environment
- High-quality communication skills (written and oral)
- Excel at organization and problem solving with strong time-management skills
LegalZoom is a trusted leader in the technology platform space that gives the world access to professional legal advice. From starting a new business to assisting on protecting families, contracts to copyrights, trademarks to trust – we are a leading provider of online legal solutions for families and small businesses. Since its founding over 15 years ago, LegalZoom has helped millions of Americans with efficient and simplified legal help. Whether you want to explore specific legal options or connect with an independent attorney, be empowered to take care of important legal needs and protect what matters most.
Make the difference and join us as we build our future and deliver on our mission!
LegalZoom is an Equal Opportunity Employer, dedicated to diversity.