Buying a home should be an exciting milestone. But all too often, it’s stressful, especially in a competitive market or when you’re buying and selling at the same time. So we’re redesigning the homebuying experience. We’re a fast-paced real estate startup that empowers agents to help homebuyers buy with cash. We buy homes on behalf of our partners’ clients with our cash, then the client buys the home back from us.
Founder and CEO Tim Heyl, a 10-year industry veteran and owner of one of the fastest-growing agent teams in the country, started Homeward in 2018. In fact, he bought our first customer’s home with his own life savings. Today we offer two services — Buy with cash and Buy before you sell — in Texas, Colorado, and Georgia.
We’ve raised more than $160MM in equity capital from top-tier venture investors, including Norwest, Blackstone Alternative Asset Management, Adams Street, Javelin, and LiveOak. Our leadership team includes experts from the real estate, mortgage, and technology industries.
About the opportunity
We are looking for an experienced Payroll & Benefits Manager to support multi-state payroll and benefits operations for Homeward. The ideal candidate for this position is experienced working with People Operations and Finance team members with strong quantitative and strategic thinking skills, and a proven ability to navigate complex issues and obtain results.
This role is not eligible to be performed from Colorado. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.In this role you will:
- Develop an on-boarding process regarding payroll and benefits for new employees.
- Oversee the entire payroll and benefits process of the organization, including implementation of HRIS nationally and internationally
- Track and report key metrics designed to measure Payroll & Benefits performance, will revise and improve payroll & benefits processes, procedures and practices to facilitate greater efficiency and employee experience
- Process and review national and international payroll for exempt and non exempt employees, ensuring the timely and accurate processing of payroll
- Ensure compliance with ACA, HIPAA, FMLA, PDL, CFRA, ADA, ERISA, IRS, DOL, COBRA.
- Enhance this function of the business by maintaining strong internal controls
- Manage and improve all aspects of benefits (ACA Reporting, family leave, on boarding, terminations, health insurance, etc.)
- Assists with labor law compliance, employee payroll, time tracking and benefits education.
- 5-7 years of experience in the payroll and benefits space with 3+ years payroll management experience.
- Experience working with more than one enterprise level HRIS.
- Deep experience partnering directly with key stakeholders to guide strategic decision-making in a highly ambiguous and ever-changing environment in regards to payroll and benefits.
- Ownership of the Open Enrollment process from start to finish.
- Experience in fast-paced environments.
- Federal and State tax laws knowledge.
- Knowledge of payroll processes: garnishments, benefit deductions, taxes, FMLA experience, Work Comp experience, LOA experience,
- Knowledge of multi-state laws.
- Experience processing payroll and benefits for both exempt and non exempt employees.
- Prior experience managing, working with, and engaging with/selecting vendors and negotiating benefit renewal.
- Experience assisting with labor law compliance is a plus.
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and security of sensitive information..
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Attention to detail.
THE GOLDEN RULE
Whether we’re dealing with colleagues or customers, we follow The Golden Rule, treating others the way we want to be treated. It’s a simple rule, but it’s also significant: we don’t prioritize money or growth over people, and we practice empathy at every opportunity.
We work in tech and build solutions for real estate. Both are fast-paced and stressful industries. So it’s important that we focus on the larger objective rather than rushing from one task to the next. If something is out of scope, we say “No.” If something feels rushed, we pump the brakes. This calm focus helps us create solutions our customers love.
ONE TEAM, ONE DREAM
Big problems require big solutions. We look at our customers’ experience holistically, and recognize that solving them requires collaboration across teams. This approach extends to cooperation among our three affiliate companies — Homeward, Homeward Mortgage and Homeward Title — and produces a more integrated homebuying experience.