Payroll Manager at Care.com
Care.com is a consumer tech company with heart. We’re on a mission to solve a human challenge we all face: finding great care for the ones we love. We’re moms and dads and pet parents. We have parents and grandparents so we understand that everyone, at some point in their lives, could use a helping hand. Our culture and our products reflect that.
Here, entrepreneurs, self-starters, team players, and big thinkers unite behind a common cause. Here, we’re applying data analytics, AI, and the latest technologies to solve universal problems and connect people in new ways. If you like having autonomy, if you thrive on collaboration and building new things, and if you’re all about using your talent for good, Care.com is the place for you.
What Your Days Will be Like:
The Payroll Manager will oversee and supervise the organization’s payroll functions, ensuring pay is processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations.
What You’ll Be Working on:
- Oversees the daily workflow of the department.
- Periodic review of work. Latitude and independent judgment in interpreting policies and procedures.
- Process biweekly and monthly payrolls for Care.com multi-state exempt and non-exempt employees (US and Germany) (including new hires, terminations, deductions, garnishments, direct deposits + fringe payments, expat taxes + payments).
- Define and manage the strategy for the payroll operations function, including timekeeping, payroll, payroll tax, payroll accounting/GL.
- Perform payroll reconciliations
- Develop and implement best practices, key performance indicators, and metrics
- Maintain a payroll risk and crisis management strategy
- Provide the advanced analytical/problem-solving skills required for working through root cause analysis of payroll process, system, and service delivery issues
- Maintain personnel and benefits information, pay rates, career bands, direct deposits, and federal and state withholding elections in HRIS
- Maintain effective internal controls and proactively work to identify and implement efficiency improvements
- Calculate gross-ups, bi-weekly pay and benefit pro-rations due to termination, leave of absence, new employment, or promotions
- Ensure consistency in payroll practices, controls, and management reporting in accordance with established policies and procedures including all legislative compliance requirements
- Analyze and interpret company policies and government regulations that impact the processing of payroll
- Maintain the confidentiality of all payroll, employee, and any proprietary information
- Administer health benefits, 401(k), FSA, workers’ comp + commuter programs, as well as drive internal communication + education with internal partners
- Responsible for all aspects of year-end processing including, fringe benefits, accurate W-2 reporting, and W-2Cs
- Respond to auditor requests for payroll processes, user access, and reporting
- Issue check requests, request direct deposit reversals, and stop payments
- Annually, create the payroll pay calendar with data cut-off dates
- Prepare monthly payroll and benefits related reconciliations
- Ensure tax compliance of federal and state tax withholding as well as social security and Medicare withholding for U.S. employees, foreign employees on local contracts, and employees with work visas.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:Required Skills/Abilities:
- Certified Payroll Professionals (CPP) other recognized payroll certification
- Knowledge of Workday (Payroll and Accounting system) preferred.
- Ability to think globally, strategically, and objectively
- Knowledge of multi-state pay laws and regulations
- Project management, analytical, and process orientation skills
- Understanding of employment/labor laws such as FMLA, OSHA, EEO, etc.
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel and Word)
- Maintain approachability and an open-door policy
- Ability to build trust within client groups and maintain confidentiality with sensitive data
- Bachelor’s degree in HR, Business Administration, Finance/Accounting, etc. or equivalent experience preferred
- 8+ years of Human Resources experience in the area of Payroll & Benefits administration
- Must have 5+ years of Payroll systems experience within a corporate environment – preferred experience with web-based payroll systems
- Demonstrated success in managing complex and competing organizational priorities in a fast-paced environment
- International experience preferred
**Care.com supports diverse families and communities and seeks employees who are just as diverse. As an equal opportunity employer, Care.com recognizes the power of a diverse workforce and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds.**
Available in more than 20 countries, Care.com is the world's leading platform for finding and managing high-quality family care. Care.com is designed to meet the evolving needs of today's families and caregivers, offering everything from household tax and payroll services and customized corporate benefits packages covering the care needs of working families, to innovating new ways for caregivers to be paid and obtain professional benefits. Since 2007, families have relied on Care.com's industry-leading products—from child and elder care to pet care and home care. Care.com is an IAC company (NASDAQ: IAC).