Senior HR Generalist at Self Financial
Self Financial, Inc. helps consumers establish and build credit history. We are a venture-backed, financial services startup based in Austin, TX. At Self, our mission is to help millions of people build credit and save money on their journey toward financial security.
There are about 100 million people in the US who have low credit scores or who have no access to credit at all. Sadly, there aren’t many options for these people. Most banks aren’t doing anything material to change the situation because it’s not profitable for them to do so. Bad credit or no credit history can be barriers to renting an apartment or getting certain jobs, let alone buying a car or house. And if you can get a loan with a low credit score, you’re very likely to pay a lot more in interest over the life of that loan.
Our team is passionate about challenging the status quo of the credit industry by giving people accessible and affordable tools to take control of their credit. Executing on our mission requires deep collaboration across our teams to ensure our products reach the people who can most benefit from them.
We're looking for people who share a passion for our mission and relate to why we do what we do. At Self, we want to work with people who are driven to tackle challenges, bring unique perspectives, find solutions and help make the financial space a better place for our consumers. We recognize that it takes different people and personalities to make our products – and our company – truly great. We only seek the best.
If you are someone who is equally passionate as we are, we want to chat with you.
About the Role: Are you passionate about Human Resources? Are you a hands on, true generalist by nature and motivated by learning the various aspects of HR? Are you looking for a place to grow? Then this may be the perfect place for you.
You’ll work closely with our Director of People to support the rapid growth at Self. You will get exposure to the different areas of HR and will have an opportunity to build and implement scalable processes. The ideal candidate is not afraid to ask questions, make suggestions, dive into new areas and truly enjoys guiding and helping employees on a daily basis.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- 5 years HR/Generalist experience with emphasis on new employee experience, people operations and culture
- 3+years of benefits administration and management
- Foundational knowledge and understanding of FMLA, EEO laws, ADA and other employment related State and Federal laws & regulations is required
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced growth environment (Preferably in a Tech Industry)
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills is required
- Demonstrated ability to effectively partner with all levels of the organization and positively influence teams
- Outstanding organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail is required
- Resourceful, self motivated, ability to learn quickly and work with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in using a variety of software applications including MacOs and Google Suite
- Professional demeanor with excellent and timely follow up with managers is required.
- Assist in other areas of Human Resources as needed
- PHR certification required
- Pre boarding, Onboarding and Orientation: You will serve as the first point of contact for our new hires, focusing on a best in class onboarding experience. You will completely manage the background check, onboarding and orientation schedules with the new hires and related departments within the company to ensure a smooth process. You will also help with organizing and maintaining all employee related files in Dropbox. You will also work closely with the Finance and Accounting teams to ensure accuracy of data.
- Administration of Benefits and Perks: You will manage the everyday benefit related needs for all the employees and partner with our benefits broker to educate our employees. You will also assist with the ACA Reporting and Open Enrollment process every year. You will also help in coordinating and managing employee perks and suggest process improvements as needed.
- HRIS Management: You will assist our Director of People in maintaining the data integrity of our HRIS system Namely.
- Talent Acquisition: Assist in the recruitment efforts, reporting and other duties associated with our internal recruiting process and get familiar with using LinkedIn recruiter and BuiltinAustin.
- Manager Training/ Lunch and learns: Scheduling and coordination of training
- Process and Procedures: You will assist in the development, documentation and implementation of internal policies and procedures related to HR. You will also be informed of regulatory changes in order to ensure compliance and recommend process improvements for department efficiency as we grow.
- Culture: You will help maintain company culture by helping deliver employee engagement surveys and programs to support and grow the culture. You will also consistently maintain a positive relationship with the employees to do regular pulse checks.
- Diversity and Inclusion: You will assist with Diversity and Inclusion initiatives and projects at Self.
- Immigration: You will assist the Director of HR with paperwork related to work visas and update I-9s when there is a status change.
- Annual EEO1 reporting: You will help with filing the EEO-1 report annually
- General support: You will help the Director of People and the Finance and Accounting team with general everyday support in areas including but not limited to Hiring, employee relations, performance management, compensation administration, research and help with projects.
Our compensation and benefits are competitive, but there's one thing that Self Financial can offer that many startups cannot: we can positively change the world, while making a profit. Over 64 million adults in the U.S. do not have a credit score due to a lack of credit history. Self is solving this problem with innovative technology and partnerships.
Our perks include:
- Competitive Pay
- Stock options
- Generous employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance coverage
- Enjoy our vacation policy – there is no policy, balance matters
- Educational assistance
- Free gym membership
- Plenty of snacks and drinks provided
- Casual dress code
- Catered company lunches on Mondays and Wednesdays (when in office work resumes)
- Team happy hours and events (when in office work resumes)
- Downtown Austin office space
- Remote work arrangements/ Flexible work schedule (due to the pandemic)
How we act with each other is how we act with our customers. We are direct, transparent and respectful, and we hope you embrace that approach.
Self Financial requires all employees hired to successfully pass a background check.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.