Senior Payroll Analyst
Role: Senior Payroll Analyst
Location: Austin, TX
Reports To: Assistant Controller
Hippo is modernizing the $100B home insurance industry by putting customers at the center of everything we do, from the coverage we offer to the customer service we provide. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping people protect their homes to begin with by leveraging technology and data to help find small issues before they become big headaches. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers. Our CEO, Assaf Wand, views this company as an opportunity to care for one another like a family, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly).
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Little Hippos Program- We reimburse our team members up to $25k for adoption costs and up to $50k for infertility treatments. Plus, we offer 12 weeks parental leave for primary caregivers and 6 weeks for secondary caregivers.
- Hippo Meals & Snacks- We cater lunch in our office 3 times a week and we provide all the snacks & drinks our Hippos can handle daily.
- Hippo Habitat- Our beautiful, historic offices are located in downtown Austin at the corner of 6th & Congress.
About This Role This role will be primarily responsible for our Sales & Commissions payroll analysis for our team in Austin, Texas.
- Performs full-cycle processing, data entry, validation, reconciliation, and auditing for semi-monthly payrolls using HR/Payroll systems
- Manages payroll liabilities by ensuring accuracy of employee federal, state, and local income and social security taxes, and employer’s social security, unemployment and worker’s comp payments
- Ensures accuracy of 401k deductions, deferred comp deductions and all benefit deductions
- Maintains and audits accuracy of timesheet approvals and maintenance for non-exempt employees
- Communicates with employees and managers with respect to internal systems, timesheet reporting and submission, and wage and tax statements as necessary; supports departmental service level commitments to all employees
- Assist with accounting month-end close including journal entries and reconciliations related to payroll and benefit
- Ensure payroll expenses are accurately and properly recorded in the company's financial statements
- Maintains accurate payroll information by identifying and improving the effectiveness of payroll operations and internal controls; provides guidance regarding payroll compliance
- Supports annual financial statement, 401(k), and other audits as required
- Audit W-4s, payroll balance sheets, quarterly filings, W-2’s YTD earnings
- Responsible for maintaining SOX policies, procedures and compliance with respect to the payroll process
- Benefit audits and coordination with People/Benefits and 3rd party vendors
- Reconciliations of payroll deductions between payroll records and benefit vendors’ records
- Filing Form 5500
- 5+ years of experience processing payroll with intricate complexities regarding commission and bonuses at varying levels changing from pay period to pay period
- Must be extremely versed in income tax laws, including wage and hourly laws, compliance, and IRS tax filings
- IPO Readiness experience would be a plus
- Maintains an extremely high level of confidentiality, professionalism, and integrity
- Ability to catch on quickly and thrive in a very fast paced environment
- Experience with Paylocity and BambooHR a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Ability to travel domestically (mostly to California) for training and periodically as needed
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Self-motivated and directed; ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous and expected to succeed without heavy direction
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to help others solve problems
- Flexible and willing to do what is needed to get great work done
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced and dynamic
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.