Senior Payroll Analyst at Hippo Insurance
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that wasn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes, to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
About This Role
This role will be primarily responsible for our Sales & Commissions payroll analysis for our team in Austin, Texas.
- Process semi-monthly and off-cycle (adjustments, terminations, and stock transactions) payroll in a fast pace environment using Paylocity and TriNet.
- Ensure the accuracy of payroll entries and timely submittal to payroll vendors.
- Manage the Bamboo Time and Attendance for all non-exempt employees including timesheet accuracy and manager approval.
- Ensures accuracy of 401k deductions and other payroll deductions.
- Review, interpret and maintain garnishments, levies, and child support orders in accordance with federal and state regulations.
- Ensure all payroll documentation including processes, policies and standard checklists are accurate and up to date.
- Ensure payroll expenses are accurately recorded in the Company’s general ledger.
- Assist with accounting month-end close including journal entries and reconciliations related to payroll and benefits, and annual audits.
- Responsible for maintaining SOX policies, procedures, and compliance with respect to the payroll process, and assist with annual audits (Worker’s Compensation and 401(k)).
- Assist with year-end and quarterly audit of federal and state SOD’s and tax statements.
- Provide world class customer service to resolve paycheck discrepancies and other payroll related questions and support departmental service level commitments to all employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- 5+ years of experience processing payroll with intricate complexities regarding commission and bonuses at varying levels changing from pay period to pay period.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Must be extremely versed in income tax laws, including wage and hourly laws, compliance, and IRS tax filings.
- IPO Readiness experience would be a plus.
- Maintains an extremely high level of confidentiality, professionalism, and integrity.
- Ability to catch on quickly and thrive in a very fast paced environment.
- Experience with Paylocity, Bamboo HR and TriNet a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to travel domestically (mostly to California) for training and periodically as needed.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Self-motivated and directed; ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous and expected to succeed without heavy direction.
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to help others solve problems.
- Flexible and willing to do what is needed to get great work done.
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced and dynamic.
- Excellent payroll administration skills with strong attention to details and the ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects in a fact paced environment.
- Knowledge of general payroll practices including federal and multi-state regulations.
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly).
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Little Hippos Program- We reimburse our team members up to $25k for adoption costs and up to $50k for infertility treatments. Plus, we offer 12 weeks parental leave for primary caregivers and 6 weeks for secondary caregivers.
- Hippo Meals & Snacks- We cater lunch in our office 3 times a week and we provide all the snacks & drinks our Hippos can handle daily.
- Hippo Habitat- Our beautiful, historic offices are located in downtown Austin at the corner of 6th & Congress.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.