BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, the leading cloud commerce platform for fast-growing brands, is in search of a VP, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion to build and scale our global diversity, inclusion, and belonging strategy into every aspect of our company and culture. Key focuses will be on partnering to increase workforce diversity by aiding in effectively recruiting, developing and retaining our diverse workforce and designing programs to foster an inclusive workplace where everyone feels they belong. You will also be a consultant to the business on promoting diversity and inclusion through our customers, partners and local communities.
Who we are
We are a company with a vision of building the world’s best ecommerce platform for growing businesses, and dedicated to helping merchants of all types to innovate and grow. We do not focus on external activism however, we recognize the impact that external events can have on our workforce. We firmly believe that our people are the heart of our ability to innovate, and are deeply committed to ensuring the well-being of our employees and are focused on cultivating a workplace that frees our talent to contribute their expertise and perspectives fully and authentically every day.
You will report directly to our CFO and collaborate with stakeholders across the company including the People Organization and C-suite leadership.
Top focus areas for 2021 include: Mandatory unconscious bias/anti-racist/DEI training for all employees; Training for managers including hiring, promotion, performance biases; D&I recruiting, including executive search and external partnerships to enhance our ability to attract underrepresented minority talent (colleges/internships/programs); execute to a marketing plan to attract minority, women-owned merchants tfor POC & and other underrepresented minority groups to be showcased on the BigCommerce website and social platforms
What you’ll do:
- Lead a small team and fully own building upon our current DEI work and longer-term formal framework, to advance DEI, including strategic plan, standards, policies, and budget. Embed DEI into all people and business processes, ensuring global alignment with methods and techniques that foster equity, define inclusive excellence, and achieve a discrimination- and harassment-free work environment
- Evaluate DEI efforts by assessing the achievement of annual plan goals, identifying areas for improvement, and directing future progress; calculate the quantifiable benefit or return on investment DEI work
- Identify implicit associations that lead to discrimination, inequality, and exclusion; present effective techniques to help managers and employees overcome stereotypes and biases
- Collaborate with the People Organization on programs and initiatives to improve recruitment, development and retention of a high-performing diverse and inclusive workforce; and audit for compliance with external requirements
- Partner with the People Organization to have a diverse talent attraction and recruitment strategy; including university and community engagement programs
- Partner with the People Organization to assess systems, practices and policies to identify bias vulnerabilities and implement interrupters to help mitigate.
- Serve as a key member of the executive leadership team; provide guidance and secure support from senior-level leaders in equity, diversity and inclusion efforts
- Recommend and advocate for policies, management, and decision making at the board level to reflect inclusive leadership; ensure a pipeline of diverse board candidates
- Build a diverse merchant and partner base and through inclusive marketing strategies, programs and promotions
- Provide leadership to our ERGs and collaborate with internal allies in order to analyze & improve the organizational DEI climate
Who you are:
- 15+ years of experience, with at least 5 years in a strategic or operational DEI position directly supporting C-Suite executives
- Global mindset, understanding of diversity within various global cultures; knowledge of global diversity
- Influencing & negotiation skills with an ability to drive alignment across executives and peers at all levels in an organization
- Record of accomplishment of fostering, driving and implementing innovative ideas with broad impact
- A strong project manager - you have a history of creating project plans, setting milestones, delegating tasks, and tracking progress
- Goal oriented - you know how to measure the success of various DEI initiatives and will help keep the company accountable
- Demonstrate expertise in using metrics to inform, influence and communicate a vision to a wide range of audiences
- Show exceptional compassion, vulnerability and empathy when working with team members, employees at all levels and external stakeholders
- Maintain attention to detail and quality, while working with a sense of urgency
- External DEI certification strongly preferred