About the department
This internship is targeting students with experience and interest in Data Engineering, Data Analytics or Data Science.
The Data Engineer & Analytics Intern delivers full-stack data solutions across the entire data processing pipeline. This role relies on systems engineering principles to design and implement solutions that span the data lifecycle - collect, ingest, process, store, persist, access, and deliver data at scale and at speed. It includes knowledge of local, distributed, and cloud-based technologies, data virtualization, and all security and authentication mechanisms required to protect the data. Development and deployment of machine learning, operational research, semantic analysis, and statistical methods for finding structure in large data sets.What you'll do
- Work through all stages of a data solution lifecycle, e.g., analyze / profile data, create conceptual, logical and physical data model designs, architect and design ETL, reporting and analytics.
- Knowledge of modern enterprise data architectures, design patterns, and data toolsets and the ability to apply them.
- Identify key metrics and build exec-facing dashboards to track progress of the business and its highest priority initiatives.
- Identify key business levers, establish cause & effect, perform analyses, and communicate key findings to various stakeholders to facilitate data driven decision-making.
- Work closely across the business teams like Finance, Sales, Marketing, Legal, Customer Support, Product, Engineering.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Pursuing degree in B.S. or M.S in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, or a related field
- Proficiency in data modeling techniques and understanding of normalization
- Has software engineering experience
- Strong problem solving, conceptualization, and communication skills
- Shown creative problem solving and proactive learning
- Distributed data systems (e.g., Hadoop, Hive, Spark - SQL, Streaming)
- Data APIs (GraphQL)
- Database systems (SQL and NO SQL)
- Data warehousing solutions (Time phasing, Dimensional modeling, Snapshot)
- Data Analytics tools (Tableau, Google Studio)
- Languages: Java Script, SQL, Hive, Pig, Python, R, Scala, Golang, XML, Java, Shell Scripting
- Full-stack (frameworks such as React, AngularJS and NodeJS)
- Cloud platform (GCP)
- Role is based in Austin, TX preferred