Legal & Risk Management Intern
LEGAL & RISK MANAGEMENT INTERN- HOME OFFICE- KENDRA SCOTT
About Kendra Scott:
We are a fun, talented and driven team dedicated to providing our customers with gorgeous products and a WOW! experience. Family, fashion and philanthropy are at the core of our company and though we move at a very fast pace, we are committed to maintaining a family-oriented work environment and giving back to our community. A passion for great design, dedication to innovation and a strong social media presence are our building blocks for creating a unique and engaging lifestyle brand across all channels, including retail stores, wholesale accounts and e-commerce. Our headquarters are located in the heart of Austin, Texas, and we embrace the unique vibe and energy of our hometown as an inspiration for our brand and company culture.
The Kendra Scott Summer Internship Program offers students an opportunity to gain exposure to the inner workings of our fast-growing, multi-category, fashion lifestyle brand. We value all of our interns and commit to providing a comprehensive learning experience that aligns with individual interests and career goals.
• 10-week, paid experience in Austin, TX
• Relocation assistance is not provided
• Resume and Cover Letter are required and must be submitted at the time of your application in order to be considered
• Applicants should apply for the internship they are most interested in pursuing. Applicants that apply for multiple opportunities will not be considered
• Sponsorship assistance is not provided at this time
• The deadline for internship applications is December 15, 2018 at 11:59 pm PST
• Candidates will be informed of their status throughout our process, with final offers being extended by February 28, 2019
What You Will Learn:
• Real world knowledge of working cross-functionally in a fast growing, multi-channel business that values customers, employees and giving back
• Sharpen your strengths through on the job training and learn new skills in the many departments that support a growing organization
• Hands on strategizing and planning
• Participation in regular staff meetings and events
We have an exciting opportunity to support the rapid growth of our company in the fashion industry! Reporting to our Paralegal, our Legal & Risk Management Intern will identify and provide creative solutions to legal risks impacting the Brand and will collaborate with cross-functional partners and team members to provide creative solutions to mitigate risk. This role combines the need for a confident and energetic individual with a strong interest in fashion law and an exceptional desire to learn about product lifecycle and intellectual property as it relates to brand protection.
• Provide basic legal research in response to incoming requests for legal advice/business guidance from cross-functional partners and exercising judgement in prioritizing requests.
• Manage the copyright portfolio by working with cross-functional partners in securing new product line lists, procuring photos and all other information needed for filing, finalizing product list before product launch, assisting Paralegal with registration of Copyrights and owning the organization and filing process of registered and unregistered notices.
• Assist with business license compliance for all Kendra Scott entities for each jurisdiction registered to do business by identifying necessary forms, completing forms using accurate information, filing with proper authority, disseminating physical licenses to all stakeholders, managing business license renewals, and keeping cross-functional partners apprised of statuses
• Legal Assistant Administrative duties such as managing all incoming correspondence, scanning and filing physical and electronic copies on SharePoint.
• Select 3 of the most impactful lawsuits within the fashion industry focusing on intellectual property and brand protection, write three case summaries about the applicability and impact to the Kendra Scott brand, and present the findings about one case, decided by the Intern, to the Risk/Legal team while offering creative solutions on how to address.
• Manage a “faux” civil lawsuit against the Kendra Scott brand and will be in charge of managing the litigation process from the receipt of the lawsuit, to trial/settlement. This project will expose the Legal & Risk Management Intern to the civil litigation process and how corporate legal teams manage and handle litigation internally. In addition, the Legal & Risk Management Intern will develop an in-house Litigation Management Policy and Procedure.
• Draft a contract template to be used when engaging Social Media Influencers. The Legal & Risk Management Intern will learn several aspects in the contracts area of law including contract drafting, legal research, contract negotiation, rights of creative content, intellectual property rights, and working with cross-functional business partners to confirm key business points. In addition to creating the contract, the Legal & Risk Management Intern will experience a mock contract negotiation in which they will have to negotiate with the “faux” Influencer to come to a final agreement in favor of the company.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
• The ability to work 40 hours per week (Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 6:00 pm)
• Availability to work May 20, 2019- July 26, 2019. Consideration will be given for special life events with the exception of Internship Orientation (Monday, May 20th).
o Memorial Day & Fourth of July will be observed as company holidays.
• The ability to demonstrate strong leadership among peers and across the organization.
• A desire to learn more in the legal & risk management space; pre-law students who have taken the LSAT or recent graduates enrolled in L1 preferred
• A high level of accountability, reliability and initiative
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• A proven ability to execute with consistent delivery
• Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• A strong ability to build relationship with co-workers and keep others informed
• A growth mindset: desire to learn, grow and embrace new ideas.
• A shared appreciation for our 3 core values of Family, Fashion and Philanthropy