At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Team
The Security team at Cloudflare is focused and committed to helping secure both Cloudflare and our customers. The Engineering teams in Security are composed of the following:
- The Product Security team is responsible for engineering solutions to keep our products and customer facing systems secure. Product Security also completes code and architecture reviews of projects developed by our engineering teams and engages with external researchers who report vulnerabilities to us.
- The Detection and Response team is responsible for detecting threats and responding to security incidents. Detection and Response has built an in-house SIEM and developed custom rules to detect suspicious activity specific to Cloudflare.
- The Strategic Programs team is responsible for cross-functional programs, such as Vulnerability Management. Through cross-team collaboration, we work to address incoming vulnerabilities, develop automation tooling, and build playbooks to improve our security operational response.
- The Infrastructure Security team is responsible for securing our global infrastructure. Infrastructure Security has implemented secure boot and encrypted storage for our fleet of servers.
About the Role
You will join one of our security engineering teams, Detection & Response, Strategic Programs, Product Security, or Infrastructure Engineering, to create a solution to address a current security problem. Interns will get hands-on experience related to their interest areas. This may include, but is not limited to, building forensics tooling, automating vulnerability management, researching threats to our internal & external systems, and improving security processes.
- Familiarity with at least one coding language and the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC). The Security team particularly enjoys writing software in Python, Go, and Rust.
- Hands on technical experience demonstrated through previous work experience, personal projects, or volunteer work.
- Strong computer science fundamentals, data structures, algorithms, and software design.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Willingness to learn new languages and technology.
- Curiosity, empathy and ability to get things done.
- Currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or relevant field to the role.
- Ability to commit to a 12-week internship remotely.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
184.108.40.206: We released 220.127.116.11 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.